does prez w/ strings exist

Guest ariceffron

No trace of Lester Young with strings on records :angry:

In the 1958 interview made in Paris that is in the 'Lester Young' box on Verve, Lester Young mentions that somebody in New York (Gil Evans is assumed to have been that man) was 'writing some music for me. When I get back, I got bass violin, two cellos and a viola, and a French horn, see what I mean?'.

Lester Young died in New York two weeks after that interview...

It does seem odd that Pres never recorded with strings. After all, Verve was doing string records for just about all of its star horn players of the time: Bird, Clifford, Webster, Eldridge, Hawk, Flip Phillips, etc.. Why not Pres? It would have been so natural. Maybe Pres resisted the idea for a while?

Guest ariceffron

its not that odd after that explaination. '56 was about when the strings lps started to come out w/ more regularity, right when prez died. he would of made a bunch im sure

It does seem odd that Pres never recorded with strings. After all, Verve was doing string records for just about all of its star horn players of the time: Bird, Clifford, Webster, Eldridge, Hawk, Flip Phillips, etc.. Why not Pres? It would have been so natural. Maybe Pres resisted the idea for a while?

John, from what I have read, Prez was kind of dissatisfied with Granz around that time (1957/58). One of the reason is that Granz would not record him with strings. In the last months of his life, he mentioned the possibility of switching labels. I think UA was considered for that 'with strings' date.

And that last date 'Lester Young in Paris' was not recorded for Verve but for Barclay. Verve later acquired the masters and released the album shortly after the death of Lester Young. This must have been an easy deal since Barclay was releasing the Verve albums in France.

It does seem odd that Pres never recorded with strings.  After all, Verve was doing string records for just about all of its star horn players of the time: Bird, Clifford, Webster, Eldridge, Hawk, Flip Phillips, etc..  Why not Pres?  It would have been so natural.  Maybe Pres resisted the idea for a while?

John, from what I have read, Prez was kind of dissatisfied with Granz around that time (1957/58). One of the reason is that Granz would not record him with strings. In the last months of his life, he mentioned the possibility of switching labels. I think UA was considered for that 'with strings' date.

And that last date 'Lester Young in Paris' was not recorded for Verve but for Barclay. Verve later acquired the masters and released the album shortly after the death of Lester Young. This must have been an easy deal since Barclay was releasing the Verve albums in France.

Yea, that makes sense. By 1957, Pres wasn't making too many recordings, period. 1956 was exceptional in that sense. Yet I wouldn't want to trade any of the 1956 Verve recordings with Teddy Wilson for a strings date.

"[...] Verve was doing string records for just about all of its star horn players of the time: Bird, Clifford, Webster, Eldridge, Hawk, Flip Phillips, etc.." [John L]

Clifford Brown? When did Granz record Clifford Brown?

My appologies. Of course, Clifford Brown with strings was not on Verve (or Clef or Norgran), although the project most likely received its inspiration from what Granz was doing. No?