I have a PeeWee question. But first let me mention that your opinion of his ability was, in his day, questioned by many. But unique he was, and admired by many then and many now. As far as I know, he has only one clarinet disciple--Kenny Davern, whose playing has been influenced by Pee Wee,but is unique and superb in his own way. Davern is one of those guys who can be identified immediately, even in a group. One early fan was Bud Freeman, who predicted that Pee Wees talent would be recognized more and more as time went on.

But I digress. Back to the question--Late in his life, PeeWee played with , and recorded with a very fine trombonist named Marshall Brown ( I think ihave the name right) Do any of you know what sides they made, and for what label? And what happened to Brown. Died young, I think, but I don't know for sure. Anybody???

090431689325.jpg

There was also "New Groove." I'm not that fond of the recordings with Brown; they seem too orchestrated and arranged for me in comparison to more free-wheeling earlier works by Pee Wee as a leader. (Brown pretty much was the leader of these I've read. . . .) I don't know what happened to Brown. I remember reading he was a musical instructor (high school level?) and may have returned to that field.

I like the comments that Louis Prima made about Pee Wee, who was an important member of his band for a few years in the mid-thirties, something to the effect that Pee Wee could learn a tune in one play through and that he considered Pee Wee "the finest musical mind" he had encountered.

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 months later...