Sun Ra

Jazz Kat

recent scientific exploits in the area to find the man's hometown turned out empty handed, however.

Actually--no joke (believe it or not)--he used to live not far from where I am now in Philly. Members of the Arkestra still live in the same house, apparently. B-)

recent scientific exploits in the area to find the man's hometown turned out empty handed, however.

Actually--no joke (believe it or not)--he used to live not far from where I am now in Philly. Members of the Arkestra still live in the same house, apparently. B-)

German town.

Here's a quote from the book "Space is the Place": "His older sister was far less circumspect: ""He was born at my mother's aunt's house over there by the train station...I know, "cause I got on my knees and peeped through the keyhole. He's not from no Mars"". This version makes a little bit more sense. B-)

German town.

Yep, except it's one word (Germantown), one of Philly's most historic neighborhoods (a famous battle of the American Revolution was fought there). Other jazz legends also have lived there, like Coltrane. :tup

German town.

Yep, except it's one word (Germantown), one of Philly's most historic neighborhoods (a famous battle of the American Revolution was fought there). Other jazz legends also have lived there, like Coltrane. :tup

Ah...I know a couple of people who lived there over the years.

Somewhat off-topic, is the immediate neighborhood of Morton Street where the Arkestra group house is/was, more or less safe (like I won't be caught in an open-air drug market or gang war)? I'm going to Philly in February and would like to make a pilgrimage (well, get some photos at least) of the John Coltrane house and Chez Sony'r Ra.

Guest ariceffron

HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN L. RON'S DAUGHTER. SHE IS A HOT REDHEAD WHO MADE A LP IN 1979 WITH GUESTS PATRICK MORAZ AND CHICK COREA. I HATE SCIENTOLOGY, BUT THIS DIANA HUBBARD IS A GRADE-A+ REDHEAD-- AS HOT AS THEY COME, IT SO HAPPENS TO BE. WHO WOULD OF THUNK IT

Somewhat off-topic, is the immediate neighborhood of Morton Street where the Arkestra group house is/was, more or less safe (like I won't be caught in an open-air drug market or gang war)? I'm going to Philly in February and would like to make a pilgrimage (well, get some photos at least) of the John Coltrane house and Chez Sony'r Ra.

I would think so. It's not the worst neighborhood in Philly. You'd just want to use some commone sense, as would anywhere.

I live one neighborhood over from Germantown, btw.

And Coltrane's Philadelphia house is in the Strawberry Mansion section of the city.

I live one neighborhood over from Germantown, btw.

And Coltrane's Philadelphia house is in the Strawberry Mansion section of the city.

Alan, if you live in the neighborhood I think you do, then I live one neighborhood over from you.

BTW, to you and Hoppy, the Dec. 2004/Jan. 2005 issue of Tracks has a 2-page spread (132-133) about Philly music landmarks. FWIW, it says the neighborhood of Coltrane's house is Brewerytown, and not Strawbery Mansion. Either way, I'm sure the difference in boundaries is a matter of blocks.

Neighborhood names do change from time to time. (And I swear that the Philadelphia Inquirer changes neighborhood boundaries depending on whether they're reporting something good or something bad.)

There's an interesting city government web site that lists several hundred neighborhod names: phila.gov/phils/Docs/otherinfo/placname.htm