Buddy Rich drops F-bombs left & right

trane_fanatic

Ah, Buddy. What a charmer.

By coincidence, tonight I happened to see the Seinfeld episode where he quotes one of the Buddy tirades (not the one linked here). It's the episode called "The Butter Shave" or something like that- Kramer is shaving w/butter, George is pretending to be handicapped for his new boss (Gordon Jump from WKRP), Elaine's breaking up w/Putty and Banya's riding Jerry's coattails. Jerry decides to "take a dive" and see how Banya does "UP there, WITHOUT all the assistance" (the Buddy quote). I couldn't believe the first time I heard this- I was thinking "Man, that's about as obscure a reference as you'll ever hear on a TV sitcom" - 99.9% of viewers probably didn't even notice it.

A friend of a friend was playing at a party in NYC that Jerry was attending and got to talk to him for a minute. He asked him about the Buddy tapes and Jerry said that "Yeah, we listen to a lot of that kind of stuff to get ideas for the show".

I heard another episode where George quotes what I believe is a tape of Col. Sanders outtakes from a commercial. Anyone heard THAT one? :)

This makes me content to be a listener of jazz, a jazz aficionado, rather than a player of jazz. Especially those jazzy drums.   :lol:

You know ALL the bandleaders had moments like that- Dorsey, Miller, Shaw, Woody (I know that from personal experience) etc.

They're for the most part just letting off steam and asserting their leadership. I hear Buddy would often be laughing with the guys shortly after a blow-up.

I think many of Buddy's musicians (if they weathered the first few tirades) came to realize it was not as bad as it first seemed. I'm sure the first time anyone encountered it was a shock, though. :unsure:

Edited by Free For All

Yep, I imagine a young Tony Williams or Paul Chambers must have gotten some verbal thrashings back then. I've read that he's actually punched Trane and Chambers. Monk and Miles have gotten into it too, not to mention the Red Garland fiasco during the recording of "Milestones" and the tension between Roach and Mingus during "Money Jungle".

Anyhow, here's some more cursefests from notable names...

NOT WORK SAFE Curseorama

Casey Kasem

http://www.rockandrollbadboy.com/audio/CaseyCasem.mp3

Orson Welles

http://www.rockandrollbadboy.com/audio/OrsonWells.mp3

The Troggs

http://www.rockandrollbadboy.com/audio/TheTroggs.mp3

:lol::lol::lol:

Those two are favorites of a recording engineer I worked with -- he played them for bands in his studio -- both as comic relief and as cautionary tales!

Much-quoted line from the Troggs tape (maybe all the more striking because there's no cursing -- the speaker has almost given up on the guy who can't nail the take and sounds incredulous, pleading, near to tears of frustation):

"You have PLAYED it this EVENING!"

This makes me content to be a listener of jazz, a jazz aficionado, rather than a player of jazz. Especially those jazzy drums.   :lol:

You know ALL the bandleaders had moments like that- Dorsey, Miller, Shaw, Woody (I know that from personal experience) etc.

They're for the most part just letting off steam and asserting their leadership. I hear Buddy would often be laughing with the guys shortly after a blow-up.

I think many of Buddy's musicians (if they weathered the first few tirades) came to realize it was not as bad as it first seemed. I'm sure the first time anyone encountered it was a shock, though. :unsure:

I have a mp3 of the "Buddy Bus Rant" that a friend of mine carefully spliced together with the Basie Sonny Payne showcase "Cute" ( with Buddy* replacing* Payne ) It's a fucking riot!

BTW: you omitted a real winner in the ranting bandleader sweepstakes: Si Zentner .. :tdown:tdown

Edited by SGUD missile