From http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/c1718cs/Music04-05.htm:

December 12th, 2004 (Sunday), 2:00 p.m.

- Chamber Music at the Clark -

The Bennie Maupin Ensemble

Bennie Maupin, Composer, Woodwinds

Darek Oles, Acoustic Bass

Michael Stephans, Drums/Spoken Word

Munyungo Jackson, Percussionist

Someone once said that the smaller the ensemble, the fewer places there are to hide. Musicians - notably jazz musicians - are pretty much in agreement that the most intimate small-group settings require greater levels of responsibility on the part of all hands. Taking this notion a step further, when there is no chordal instrument (such as the piano or the guitar) in a small ensemble, then the responsibility is heightened even more. Saxophone-bass-drums trios have been around for quite a while, beginning back in the late 1950's with the Sonny Rollins trio being the most notable example. Since that time, there has been a wildly diverse population of creative saxophonists who have jumped into the fray; there is truly no place to hide in this setting - no chords to weave into and out of, no other horns to play counterpoint with?what you see is definitely what you hear. To negotiate this tough trio terrain, The Bennie Maupin Ensemble creates a different kind of musical tapestry, weaving their music in around and through itself?sort of a musical warp and woof, with all threads different from one another, yet all leading into symmetrical, unified patterns. The Maupin Ensemble came about as a result of Maupin?s continuing musical association and friendship with drummer/percussionist Michael Stephans. Internationally renowned bassist Darek Oles was a natural addition because of his open approach to interpretation and improvisation, as well as his masterful bass playing. In early 2003 world-class percussionist Munyungo Jackson joined the trio and the Ensemble was born.

-  P R O G R A M - 

The Journey

Tapping Things

Vapors

Mirror Image

Level Three

Penumbra

-  I N T E R M I S S I O N _

Mr. DePriest

Trope on a rope

Freetown

Blinkers