Blue Train SACD-opinions

jazzkrow

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a liitle odd if so. Shouldn't such statements be on the outside of the package???

And so it is. “Buyer beware” fine print is plainly visible on the outside of the case. Frankly, I’m so disgusted by this release that I emailed Blue Note. New SACD mastering that can’t surpass, let alone match old CD mastering will kill SACD faster than anything.

Guest Mnytime

I have learned when it involves RVG & Blue Note to take a wait and see approach. Especially when quality control and Blue Note do not go together. Sorry for using my friends here as guinea pigs. :rsmile:

Edited by Mnytime

This looks likely to be another "one-way e-mail"... I'd be very surprised if you'd get a reply.

I suspect you’re right, but this is complete and total bullshit.

This doubly sucks since I was one of the original guys publicly pushing BN for this title on SACD.

I have learned when it involves RVG & Blue Note to take a wait and see approach.  Especially when quality control and Blue Note do not go together.  Sorry for using my friends here as guinea pigs.  :rsmile:

It is not a quality control issue when flaws are the result of a re-mastering engineer’s preference. There was hope; I still maintain Rudy did a good job of preserving dynamic range on the recent Capuchin Swing, so there’s absolutely no excuse for this “pumping” SACD mess. Hell, I was going to wait it out too...

Edited by kartoffel·hadi blues

Guest Mnytime

I have learned when it involves RVG & Blue Note to take a wait and see approach.  Especially when quality control and Blue Note do not go together.  Sorry for using my friends here as guinea pigs.  :rsmile:

It is not a quality control issue when flaws are the result of a re-mastering engineer’s preference. There was hope; I still maintain Rudy did a good job of preserving dynamic range on the recent Capuchin Swing, but there’s absolutely no excuse for this “pumping” SACD mess. Hell, I was going to wait it out too...

Which is why I didn't included RVG in the quality control portion of that statement.

Guest Mnytime

I don’t see a reason to apologize. We all vent when we spend our money on lousy sounding CDs.

The one thing that concerned me about the labels getting into the whole SACD format is that they rush in like they did with regular CDs and we get terrible masterings just like in the 80’s.

Though so far I really haven’t noticed that with SACDs as of yet.

I know that there are plenty of folks that genuinely love Van Gelder’s re-masters, so I’ll definitely take a wait-and-see Blue Note SACD stance in the future. I just don’t get it, I just don’t. I think I’ve said just about everything I can without repeating myself. It’s probably best to move on.

And please, is there and SACD Greg doesn’t love?

Guest Mnytime

Greg appears not to have as much problem with the reverb. He seems to find this as a sign of the quality of the remastering RVG did for this SACD.

I believe there where a couple SACDs did not like. You would think I would remember their titles considering how rare that was, but I can't.

I know that there are plenty of folks that genuinely love Van Gelder’s re-masters, so I’ll definitely take a wait-and-see Blue Note SACD stance in the future. I just don’t get it, I just don’t. I think I’ve said just about everything I can without repeating myself. It’s probably best to move on.

Sorry, I don't understand - are you taking a wait-and-see approach because plenty of folks genuinely love RVG’s remasters?

Well, I'm certainly not one of them... err... I don't want to repeat myself either ;)

Edited by J.A.W.

The one thing that concerned me about the labels getting into the whole SACD format is that they rush in like they did with regular CDs and we get terrible masterings just like in the 80’s.

Though so far I really haven’t noticed that with SACDs as of yet.

Oh, nearly forgot… I don’t have many SACDs, maybe 20. Blue Train is the first to disappoint. I also have Van Gelder’s Love Supreme SACD, and although I’m sure he used some degree of compression, I don’t hear any overt pumping. It certainly never caused me to bolt off the sofa and re-wire my system to see what the hell was going on.

Sorry, I don't understand - are you taking a wait-and-see approach because plenty of folks genuinely love RVG’s remasters?

Fair question. If Blue Note is producing hybrids in an effort to please as many people as possible, and if Rudy’s re-masters are held in high regard by the majority… then Blue Note may continue producing over-compressed SACD crap.

Fair question. If Blue Note is producing hybrids in an effort to please as many people as possible, and if Rudy’s re-masters are held in high regard by the majority… then Blue Note may continue producing over-compressed SACD crap.

Ah, I see what you mean. I'm afraid you may be right... :(

Edited by J.A.W.

I received the "Blue Train" and "Black Dahlia" SACDs today.

I am only able to listen with headphones right now, so I won't comment on the frequency balance of "Blue Train", but I noticed that on the "Black Dahlia" SACD, the channels are reversed between the CD and SACD stereo layer. The multichannel layer is correct.

Looks like another Blue Note quality control issue.

Guest Mnytime

This is an interesting post by Steve Hoffman from that thread. I didn't know that the master is a redubbing.

"As I mentioned in a really old thread the so called "master" of "Blue Train" is actually a redubbing of the stereo twin-track tape with narrowed in channels. The new version narrows it even more."

By the way, everyone in the thread including Hoffman is complaing about it being bright and narrow and Greg's answer is it's their system. You gotta believe Hoffman has to have a decent system. ;)

Edited by Mnytime