Unlimited downloads a month from Napster

Hardbopjazz

From the Napster homepage......

What can I do with music I buy on Napster?

Music you purchase is yours to keep and comes with the following rights:

• Unlimited burns of individual tracks.

• Unlimited transfers to Napster's portable device.

• Copy your music to three computers.

Note that Napster and Napster to Go are not the same.

Regular Napster works like itunes or emusic. You pay per track and you have rights to burn them to cds or copy them to mp3 players.

The unlimited napster to go works differently

ABOUT NAPSTER TO GOâ„¢

With Napster to Go you can:

Listen to, download and transfer an unlimited amount of music without paying by track or album

Find your favorite artists and discover new music

System Requirements for Napster To Go:

Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10 are required

You will also need a compatible MP3 player

Note that:

TRANSFERRING TO A PORTABLE DEVICE

You can also right-click on any track and select Transfer Track(s) to Portable Device to transfer them to your MP3 player. Tracks will download to your PC first before automatically transferring to your device.

Note: If you are not a Napster To Go member, you will be prompted to purchase the tracks before they will transfer to your MP3 player.

So, the flat rate napster is not the deal it seems to be.

as the site says:

*It is necessary to maintain a Napster subscription in order to continue access to songs downloaded through the Napster service.

Word!

From the Napster homepage......

What can I do with music I buy on Napster?

Music you purchase is yours to keep and comes with the following rights:

• Unlimited burns of individual tracks.

• Unlimited transfers to Napster's portable device.

• Copy your music to three computers.

I think you pay $.99/tune for that priviledge.

The "unlimited" plan lasts only as long as you subscribe.

As I said, check the "fine print".

I hope I'm wrong about this ... REALLY!

BTW, there's an 'asterisk' at the bottom of the page that says this:

*It is necessary to maintain a Napster subscription in order to continue access to songs downloaded through the Napster service.

Edited by BFrank

I think this is actually a pretty smart business plan. I have a friend who subscribes to Rhapsody and loves it -- for a low monthly rate he gets a huge music collection. If it became portable...

On the other hand during the Superbowl I was discussing this with someone who flipped out at the idea that he wouldn't "own" the music. The human psychological attachment to ownership is probably the biggest stumbling block. But is there really that much of a difference psychologically between owning a computer file and renting it?

Guy

Not owning does not appeal to me at all. But I can think of a rare situation if I am doing some type of research or something when I need access to a lot of music for a short period of time, then I can see subscribing to it. Hope Napster does not base their business plan on such sparodic usage.

Actually, if they modify it a bit, they will be successful.

Pay $15 or so to sample anything in their catalog. If you buy a song outright, you get a 50% discount of the usual per track cost up to $7.50 in savings. I think this will induce a lot of people to sign up for the chance to listen to a lot of songs and get half of that back when they buy stuff.

Basically, use Napster To Go to drive the Napster business...

Edited by chandra

I wonder how they manage that? Do you have to use their player? If you copy to a CDR how could it expire?

Well, next time you log on your computer checks how old your downloads are, if they're too old they get erased. Not sure what happens if you don't log on again.

Guy

I'm not a member, just saw an ad stating unlimited downloads.

Well, next time you log on your computer checks how old your downloads are, if they're too old they get erased. Not sure what happens if you don't log on again

If that is all they are doing, it is very easy to circumvent by setting the system clock back.... Not that I am advocating it but meguesses there is something more..

Edited by chandra