Jimmy Smith Memorial on WKCR

Brad

They're playing some great stuff.

Could you imagine living in a world where THIS MUSIC was played on the radio all the time and the people who played it were as famous as pop stars and rappers today? It think that would be Heaven.

I second that. Just how many jazz stars make the front page when they pass on? Had Jimmy been a rock star, it would be front page news.

Could you imagine living in a world where THIS MUSIC was played on the radio all the time and the people who played it were as famous as pop stars and rappers today? It think that would be Heaven.

Amen to that!!!

All of this and no Phil Schapp! Or so I thought, anyway; I don’t know who this guy is yakkin’ right now, but he’s been going on for about ten minutes now. Shut up and play the music, fercryinoutloud!!!!

EDIT: The guy's name is Ben Young. Following in Schapp's footsteps? ;)

Edited by Big Al

Yeah, that's OK by me. Giving a bit of background for young initiates.

...but he seems to think that JOS was born in '25. I thought it was '28.

---

Now playing: WKCR - Columbia University

Jimmy Smith Memorial Broadcast

2/9 - 2/11

WKCR will be honoring the musical genius of jazz organist Jimmy Smith, who passed away Tuesday, Feb 8th. A special memorial broadcast airing his works will commence Wednesday, February 9th and run uninterrupted until 6:45 PM on Friday, February 11th.

Jimmy Smith was born in Norristown, Pennsylvania on December 8th, 1925. As the first musician to integrate the sounds of the Hammond B-3 organ into jazz, his influence is far-reaching and monumental. Join WKCR as we celebrate the life and musical splendor of this distinguished jazz musician.

:excited:

Amen to that!!!

All of this and no Phil Schapp! Or so I thought, anyway; I don’t know who this guy is yakkin’ right now, but he’s been going on for about ten minutes now. Shut up and play the music, fercryinoutloud!!!!

I thought Ben Young was highly thought of. Hasn't he authored some books?

Amen to that!!!

I thought Ben Young was highly thought of. Hasn't he authored some books?

Alber Ayler: Holy Ghost: Rare & Unissued Recordings (1962-70) Revenant Records

Ben Young - Writer, Editing, Mastering, Transfers, Remastering, Research, Restoration, Interviewer, Project Supervisor, Essay.

Works for me. :tup

Ben Young is author of "Dixonia" the Bill Dixon discography. Ben is a friend and is certainly highly thought of by me. He's the guy responsible for most all the good things at Verve in the late 1990s in terms of reissues (the Elite series, etc.). Subsequently did stuff for Savoy, RCA, and others.

Sometimes he can talk a bit much on the air. Nothing like PS, though.

Mike

Ben Young is author of "Dixonia" the Bill Dixon discography. Ben is a friend and is certainly highly thought of by me. He's the guy responsible for most all the good things at Verve in the late 1990s in terms of reissues (the Elite series, etc.). Subsequently did stuff for Savoy, RCA, and others.

Sometimes he can talk a bit much on the air. Nothing like PS, though.

Mike

Yes, it appears I misspoke. I had no idea (big surprise) that he was held in high regard. It’s just that, well…… shut up & play, dammit!!! However, my comparison of him to PS was waaaay off-base, though, and for that I apologize.