Bill Kirchner

robviti

Hey folks,

Last weekend I picked up a few items in the "bargain bin" at Stereo Jack's (thanks Jack!). One of the cds I bought is Trance Dance: The Bill Kirchner Nonet Live In Concert on the A-Records label. It was recorded in 1990 and features Kirchner on different reeds, along with people Ralph Lalama and Brian Lynch.

So, what do you know about Kirchner (I'd never heard of him before)? What do you like/dislike about him? Since I only paid $2 for this 2-cd set, I think he qualifies for inclusion in one of our "underrated" threads. B-)

d642688205y.jpg

Edited by jazzshrink

No dude, that's DON Kirschner, the cat who brought us The Monkees & the great Neil Sedaka comeback of the 70s. One of the all-time greats. Where would music be without him? :g

Bill Kirchner's a very talented cat.

In honor of Matt Groenig's Birthday, D'OH!!!

But in my defense, isn't there a similarity there? Or maybe I'm just thinking of the dude who played him in the SNL spoofs .... :wacko:

Bill is a longtime friend, one of the nicest, brightest guys I know. If you ever see the two Sea Breeze LPs by his nonet, "Infant Eyes" and "What It Is To be Frank," don't hesitate. Bill wrote some lovely charts for Lee Konitz's nonet -- I remember "Footprints" in particular, on the Steeplechase album "Yes, Yes, Nonet." At the time (late '70s), Bill was a student of Lee's, and thereby hangs a tale. Back in 1969-70, when I was at Down Beat, I enthusiastically reviewed Lee's album "Spirits." Bill, then a high school student in Youngstown, Ohio, read it, got the album, and, so he later told me, made a vow to study with Lee one day if possible. In recent years, Bill, who used to play alto, tenor, and clarinet too, has focused only on the soprano. IMO he has the best sound on that instrument of any one playing today -- incredibly pure and in tune but not too thin; the way he can lean into a note, expanding and contracting the vibrato the way a potter shapes wet clay on a wheel, is something else. The soprano rolls over on its back, puts its paws up in the air, and purrs for him. You can hear Bill at his best as a player on the 1997 A Records album (a division of the Danish label Challenge -- probably available from their website) "Some Enchanted Evening," duets with pianists Marc Copland, Mike Abene, and Harold Danko. Also, Bill is the editor/creator of "The Oxford Companion To Jazz."

God, looking at those pictures (other than the one of "Cousin Barbara" - meeEEEEEOW!!!), all I can say is that I really DO hope I die before I get old.

I hear you, but let's at least give Don some props for not opting for the dreaded rug...

Kirsch_2.JPG

Re cousin Barb :wub: ... WHY was she hanging out THERE???! :wacko: