RICHARD PRYOR SHOW ON DVD!!!!!!!!!

JSngry

From you-know-who: http://www.dustygroove.com/videos.htm#81016

dvd~~~~~~~~_richardpr_101b.jpg

DVD -- Richard Pryor Show -- Vol 1/Vol 2/TV Special (3 DVD Box Set) . . . DVD . . . $32.99 List Price: $39.99 (Item: 81016)

Image, 1977 (3Disc) Condition: New Copy

The complete four episode run of the long lost, legendary Richard Prior Show from 1977! Richard's sketch show was simply way too blue for 70s American television, and Prior terminated the project after just four episodes, down from the 10 episodes that the network initially ordered, thanks to consistent battling with network censors. If you kiddies dig the Chappelle's Show as much as we do, this is fundamental viewing -- brilliant, razor sharp, fearless stuff from one of the greatest and most influential comedian's who ever lived! This DVD features the four complete episodes, plus never-before-aired footage, with appearances by pre-superstar/hilarious Robin Williams, Paul Mooney, John Witherspoon (Friday), Sandra Bernhard, Charles Fleischer and many others. The DVD box set includes deleted scenes, a q&a session with Richard, plus a never-before-seen 37 minute Richard Pryor "Mudbone" monologue, an unedited 44-minute roast, a thick booklet that includes ideas for sketches that never happened (Gay Nightmare!, Whitey For A Day. . .) and lots more! (From the Videos page.)

If you saw it when it was on, you'll never forget it. If you've never seen it, now's the time.

BRILLIANT.

Edited by JSngry

I saw a one-off concert Prior did on VHS, and was so blown away I read his autobiography, which made for pretty tragic reading at times - though outrageously funny too. Pryor was funny - I mean really funny with that deranged sense of the absurd and perverse lilke Lenny Bruce, although I don't think Lenny Bruce's monologues translate over time so well. For funny Lenny Bruce I always go back to his book "How to Speak Dirty and Influence People", which is a format that endures.

It's hard for the charisma and attitude of a comedy performance to come across on a small TV screen. Eddie Murphy did it very early in his career. His satire of how white people dance still cracks me up whenever I'm at a gig and there's the p.c. sons and daughters of doctors and lawyers engaged in stiff, jerky dancing to complement the inevitable dreadlocks.

It would be great to see Robin Williams on that DVD collection too. I saw some early footage of him once, not much, and it was hard to know whether he was inspired more by the muse or by coke. At any rate, he was fucking funny. But I like his recent move to "serious" movie roles too - the guy can act, and he has the depth and inner resources to draw from.

• 9 years later...
  • 8 years later...
On 2/16/2005 at 1:00 AM, SNWOLF said:

I mean really funny with that deranged sense of the absurd and perverse lilke Lenny Bruce, although I don't think Lenny Bruce's monologues translate over time so well.

To me, Bruce's earlier recordings stand up well, but the later rant-oriented sets are hard to endure, such raw pain.