Smalls slated to re-open in March

lkaven

Cats,

Not only is Smalls slated to open again, but it will re-open in its original location at 183 West 10th St. Opening night is currently set for March 2nd.

You might be wondering how this came about? I thought you would.

For over a year after Smalls closed at the end of May 2002, the basement space at 183w10 went unoccupied. Finally, a Brazilian bar, whose owner had actually occupied that space once before Smalls, moved in. For several months, the owner listened to the crickets chirp each night, interrupted only by the sounds of Smalls fans, a dozen or so each night, banging on the door to find out where Smalls was. Apparently this persuaded the gentleman to contact Mitch and to propose working together, and within a very short time, they had reached an agreement. You might say the Smalls fans brought it back.

There is some scepticism, of course, after more than one abortive attempt to reopen. But on my most recent visit to the room, I could see that the tenant had cut out fifty feet of his bar to make way for a stage. To spend all that money to put the bar in, only to spend more to take most of it out, suggests that there is a tangible commitment, and at this point I believe that it will open as planned--only ten days from now.

The space was renovated from top to bottom with all new fixtures, bathrooms, HVAC, doors, stairs, etc. Once Mitch gets done decorating it in his inimitable style, it will feel like home. There is a liquor license now. The place is set to be open late, though this is constrained a bit by the liquor license. Nevertheless, being open until 5am each night is somewhat realistic. Mitch now says "open until down" instead of "open until dawn". But it will still be a hangout with likely 2-3 bands a night including a session. Smalls Records and I will be there too of course.

Pass it on.

Luke

I'm going to be putting up a temporary site at fatcatjazz.com over the next few days, so look there for further word. The original "smallsjazz.com" domain was allowed to expire accidentally, and was picked up by someone who wanted it for some reason. So before long, we'll register a new domain just for Smalls.

Luke

My fondest memory of smalls was about ten years ago. My friend and myself were at the club for the after hour jam sessions that local guitarist come to. All of a sudden the door opens up and in walks George Benson with his guitar. He started a challenge with whoever wanted to play with him. Needless to say, George Benson can still play straight ahead when he wants to. He blew everyone away. Turns out he lives across the river in NJ. I believe in Englewood Cliffs NJ. In fact it wasn't the first time he showed up at the club to do this. That was 10 years ago. Now with ti reopening, maybe he'll do it again.

Great news!

One of my best memories is catching an early set of Cecil Payne at Smalls (with Richard Wyands, John Ore and Joe Farnsworth) celebrating Cecil's 73rd birthday, then walking 'round the corner to the Vanguard for two sets of the Jackie McLean sextet. That's New York.

I also met Tommy Turrnetine there once - we chatted at length.

Bertrand.

• 4 months later...

From today's IHT

NEW YORK There are more lights now, shining on the liquor bottles behind the bar at Smalls. It is no longer dark enough to pretend the musicians are playing only for you. The bar has replaced the cushioned banquette that used to frame the room, allowing Mitch Borden, the former owner, to cram in many more than the 50 people he was allowed.

Smalls, the basement jazz club in New York's Greenwich Village, was never supposed to be like this. When it closed two years ago, Borden said he'd rather die than make changes. He never wanted anyone to have to pay for anything, and most of the people enjoying jazz until the bacon-and-eggs hour of the morning rarely did. Borden collected the $10 cover charge only sporadically, and customers could bring their own drinks.

But he eventually went bankrupt, and the line that stretched outside the club from West Tenth Street down Seventh Avenue disappeared.

This past spring, the familiar stream of jazz fans and college students lined up again. Smalls was back, and Borden, a slight man with a neatly trimmed gray beard and a perpetual newsboy cap, was presiding over it as usual. On a stool in front of the club, he played violin and twisted his cap around as he explained that he didn't care that he had gone from owner to doorman. (The club's actual owner is José Farias de Couto.)

Borden would rather be at Smalls than in Times Square, where he played the violin for spare change after he closed the club. ''I got good,'' he said.

But he does get wistful when he thinks about Smalls's pre-liquor-license days: in his opinion, the new bar takes up too much room. Much to his chagrin, though, a place can't survive in the city these days without the extra money a bar brings in.

The worn, overstuffed chairs that looked as if Borden had pulled them from someone's garbage are gone too, replaced with stiff seats ill-suited for burrowing into blue notes. But the stage is there, front and center, impossible to look away from. The young musicians on it one recent Tuesday night were relaxed, and only the sax player wore a suit.

From upstairs, you could hear the sound of Borden's newly improved violin.

The evening used to end around 8 in the morning, when Borden and the musicians decided they were ready to see the sun. Now, Tony the cleaning guy brings the night to a close when he arrives at 4.

''He turns on all the lights and moves real fast,'' Borden said. ''If he wasn't there, we'd probably stay.''