Cecil Taylor Questions

king ubu

Sure someone here can help:

Over at the other board, I remember having read about the drummer on "Jazz Advance" no being Dennis Charles (but Rudy Collins, if I remember correctly). Is that so? Why is Charles listed?

Then: I missed the Candid Mosaic and would be very glad if someone could provide a complete Candid discography. I checked some online sources and the five single discs I have and there are some contradictions (live my "World of C.T." lists a November date, while the online source I found have the "World of C.T." tracks listed with the October 12/13 sessions which yielded the music on the CD "Air". Then The Drummer for the Tracks Number One, tks 1 & 2, This Nearly Was Mine and Air tk9 is "possibly Sunny Murray replacing Charles" etc etc.) Anyone has some more or less correct information on these dates?

thanks!

ubu

Inspired by this thread, I just listened to Love for Sale. What a great record. I wish Taylor would have further explored this mode — essentially meaning, single note lines (with the occasional cluster) against a swinging backdrop. While I certainly like later Taylor too (q.v. Willisau), I have a particular soft spot for the music on Jazz Advance and Love for Sale. It seems there are countless pianists heavily influenced by Taylor from about 1970 on, but I've never heard a pianist take up and extend the materials that Taylor explored in the late 50's.