The Great Jazz Trio

Brad

I had read some of the mildly negative comments about this CD, and so bought it with a bit of trepidation and lots of curiosity. FWIW, I personally didn't notice anything amiss with this session. I think it's excellent, far better IMHO, than the earlier H. Jones/E. Jones collaboration "Upon Reflection" which was AOTW not too long ago.

If there's any sesne of "roughness" on "Autumn Leaves" it's a positive kind of tension which really brings the music alive.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

At last count I had 25 CDs by The Great Jazz Trio. The only constant on all of them is that the piano player is Hank Jones.

Bass players have included George Mraz, Mads Vinding, Yosuke Inque, Eddie Gomez, Ron Carter, Buster Williams, John Patitucci and Richard Davis.

The drummers have been Jimmie Smith, Roy Haynes, Billy Hart, Ben Riley, Jimmy Cobb, Al Foster, Tony Williams, Jack DeJohnette, Buddy Williams, and Elvin Jones.

At last count I had 25 CDs by The Great Jazz Trio. The only constant on all of them is that the piano player is Hank Jones.

Bass players have included George Mraz, Mads Vinding, Yosuke Inque, Eddie Gomez, Ron Carter, Buster Williams, John Patitucci and Richard Davis.

The drummers have been Jimmie Smith, Roy Haynes, Billy Hart, Ben Riley, Jimmy Cobb, Al Foster, Tony Williams, Jack DeJohnette, Buddy Williams, and Elvin Jones.

Wow, didn't know there WERE that many! Which of them do you consider the standout discs?

Wow, didn't know there WERE that many! Which of them do you consider the standout discs?

I had no idea there were that many, either.

I've got 4 LPs and 1 CD.

Sorry for sending the quote before I had a chance to comment.

I find it very difficult to select just a few favorites by THE GREAT JAZZ TRIO. It is hard to go wrong with almost any of them. Hank Jones is such a marvelous piano player, and the sidemen he uses are with only a few exceptions first rate musicians.

Many of these recordings are no longer available. My recommendation would be( if you like Hank Jones) to grab the ones that you are able to find while you have the chance.