Sun Ra Saturn reissues

brownie

Any idea who is putting out those Sun Ra Saturn vinyl reissues? They almost look like the real stuff. I could not find any indication of who releases them.

Among the ones I got recently:

- When Sun Comes out

- Monorails and Satellites

- Sound Sun Pleasure

but I see dozen others in the record stores.

Just checked my 'Strange Strings'. Saturn labels on it, no indication on the labels or runout as to who may have pressed it. Ganymede it is then ! B-)

This brings up an interesting point.

Why is it that the folks who fund certaon jazz LP reissues -- usually the cheap ones -- don't credit themselves on the jacket? The ones I'm thinking of, mostly Atlantic and Columbia, don't have stickers on the shinkwrap either. There are several titles currently in print with exact reproductions of the original artwork (albeit with glossy jackets).

I've never been able to figure this out.

This brings up an interesting point.

Why is it that the folks who fund certaon jazz LP reissues -- usually the cheap ones -- don't credit themselves on the jacket? The ones I'm thinking of, mostly Atlantic and Columbia, don't have stickers on the shinkwrap either. There are several titles currently in print with exact reproductions of the original artwork (albeit with glossy jackets).

I've never been able to figure this out.

Hmmmm...

Yes, what is it with Scorpio and their audiophile, 180 gram pressings from CDR's that they are so ashamed of.LMAO

Maybe that's why I own zero, and my money goes elsewhere, ie: Sundazed, Venus, Eighty Eights, Speakers Corner, Classic Records, 4 Men With Beards, Analogue Productions, Mobile Fidelity and whatever vinyl Hoffman and Grey master.

True masters in the analogue domain. And with the continued improvements in vinyl playback(phono stages, turntables and cartridges, I, happily, see no end in sight.

I think you misunderstood me, wolff.

I'm not saying I buy them. I don't buy reissue LPs at all. The whole scene is pretty ridiculous if you ask me; that it unless the remastering job is AAA. Anything less than that is a simply CD on wax.

My point was that you'd think Scorpio (or whoever it is) might want to make their identities known so folks could buy their products. Most consumers, remember, are not audiophiles. The Atlantic and Columbia reissues in particular seem to be marketed to people who either (1) think that anything on vinyl is going to sound better or (2) appreciate the bigger artwork and just think records are more fun.

In any case, I hardly think that it's because they're (deservingly) embarrased of the fidelity. It must be a licencing issue.

My understanding is that these were unauthorised, but no retailer seems to be doing anything and Ra's estate is in enough of a shambles to make putting a halt to it impossible.

You'd be surprised how many reissues are boots, though I think that most of the Atlantics were done by Rhino if not 4 Men w/Beards.

You'd be surprised how many reissues are boots, though I think that most of the Atlantics were done by Rhino if not 4 Men w/Beards.

I think you're right about the Atlantics being Rhino. That not only makes sense because Rhino has licensed much of this material on CD, I also seem to remember very small decals in the rear corners of the backs of the jackets.

[EDIT: The ones we bought for KJHK (This is Our Music, etc) were like that.]

Edited by Brandon Burke