Guest che

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Finland has longer Winters. 

True, but we have.....

winterswings.jpg

Finnish winters are something else, there is something magical about the snow and the ice and the Northern lights.

Che.

It's a tough call between Hungary and Czechoslovokia... oh, beg pardon, comrades!!!  I thought the question was "Best country invaded."  My mistake!!!

Reminds me of the story about Che and Fidel, when just after the revolution Fidel asked the gathered revolutionaries " Do we have an economist in the room" (to head the Bank of Cuba)

So Che puts up his hand.

Afterwards Fidel asks Che " I did not know you were an economist?"

Che replied " I though you said a communist!" :P

Che.

Yeah, those two fucking guys were a couple of real jokesters. :rolleyes:

Yeah, those two fucking guys were a couple of real jokesters. :rolleyes:

The only time I cut off holidays was when I visited Cuba about 4/5 years ago.

The country is beautiful, most of the Cubans are extraordinary people but the whole atmosphere was so oppressing!

I was keeping away from the tourists spots and was a paying guest in a home in one of the better Havana areas. Living the life of a privileged Cuban but just could not take it any more.

Was to stay there for two weeks. Flew out after ten days!

Yeah, those two fucking guys were a couple of real jokesters.  :rolleyes:

The only time I cut off holidays was when I visited Cuba about 4/5 years ago.

The country is beautiful, most of the Cubans are extraordinary people but the whole atmosphere was so oppressing!

I was keeping away from the tourists spots and was a paying guest in a home in one of the better Havana areas. Living the life of a privileged Cuban but just could not take it any more.

Was to stay there for two weeks. Flew out after ten days!

I was in Cuba two years ago I spoke at a conference, and you are right great landscape and people and yet poor human rights and political oppression. But you know I talked with many local people and many Doctors, Nurses etc and they all had the view that the main reason why Cuba is in this situation, is because of the way it has been treated by the United States.

The second reason is Castro himself, now maybe this is about indoctrination, just as many people in the West are indoctrinated about Modern Cuba. But this is a thread on 'Best Countries.....' and from what I saw it is a very special place.

Che.

Visit Oz and Myanmar, folks!

It was "Burma" in 1985 when I visited...

;)

Same year I visited Conn, November 1985.

This is really eerie.

I don't remember the month, but could probably find it through some research. I think I visited in the Fall too. Could we have been on the same plane? :o

How did you get to Pagan?

I had to take an awful route: train to Thazi then jammed up bus from Thazi to Pagan. I remember it took hours.

Couldn't stand to take the bus back to Thazi, so I paid for a personal "taxi" back from Pagan to the train station in Thazi.

I don't recall seeing any other foreigners in Pagan...well wait...there was a French woman who kind of hitched up with us on the horse and buggy. But that couldn't have been you!

Edited by connoisseur series500

Visit Oz and Myanmar, folks!

It was "Burma" in 1985 when I visited...

;)

Same year I visited Conn, November 1985.

This is really eerie.

I don't remember the month, but could probably find it through some research. I think I visited in the Fall too. Could we have been on the same plane? :o

How did you get to Pagan?

I had to take an awful route: train to Thazi then jammed up bus from Thazi to Pagan. I remember it took hours.

Couldn't stand to take the bus back to Thazi, so I paid for a personal "taxi" back from Pagan to the train station in Thazi.

I don't recall seeing any other foreigners in Pagan...well wait...there was a French woman who kind of hitched up with us on the horse and buggy. But that couldn't have been you!

Yeah, great pics, brings back memories.

Conn, back in '85 I was told that the only way to visit Burma was on an organized tour. The details are hazy now but I seem to recall that we flew from Rangoon to Mandalay, spent some time in the Shan state and then flew from Mandalay to Pagan before flying back to Rangoon. I do remember that the aircraft were very old Fokkers and being told that they had lost half of their fleet (2 planes) in crashes over the previous few years.

Conn, back in '85 I was told that the only way to visit Burma was on an organized tour.

Obviously not so.

My wife and I went alone. My gratuity bottle of Johnny Walker Red didn't make it past the custom's guy, who bought it from me. I also brought a lot of 555 cigarette packets to help grease my way through places.

I didn't get to fly to places at all as you had to book these flights well in advance. I just paid for personal "taxis," which proved to be a good idea. I would point out a place on the map, like "Pegu" and the taxi guy would take me there.

I was living next door in Thailand at the time.

Only because no one else had mentioned it seriously I'd like to throw in a vote for The Czech Replublic.

:tup:tup:tup

That's a nice one!

And Slovakia isn't bad either!

My foreign travels have been entirely based upon where the gigs were... and I've really enjoyed all the countries I wound up in...

Czechoslovakia (in 1984), and the Czech Republic since,

plus (I'll try for alphabetical order): Austria, Belgium, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany (present-day, as well as old East and West), Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Netherlands, Scotland, Slovenia, Spain (so far, I've only been to Barcelona -- would love to see the rest), Sweden, Switzerland...

Ljubljana, Barcelona and Prague are all beautiful cities!