Just what exactly consitutes a "plate of greens"?

I've seen it referred to in various places, most recently in the liners to Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy when Avakian describes going out for "ham and greens" with Louis. And of course, there's Mo' Greens, Please (which should be reissued domestically for the cover alone).

Anyone know?

From www.soulfoodcookbook.com

Basic Soul Food Collard Greens

Ingredients:

4-6 bunches of collard cleaned and steamed

5 slices of bacon

1 smoked ham hock

1 large chopped onion

seasoning salt to taste

1 bunch of green onions (optional)

black pepper to taste

7 cups of water

Instructions:

Lay collard greens on top of each other, (no more then 4 at a time) roll and then cut in half with a knife.

Cut even smaller if you have large leaves.

Line the bottom of a large stock pot with the bacon.

Cook on medium heat until done, obtaining as much bacon grease as possible.

Add the water to the stock pot and the grease and bring to a boil.

Now add the 1/2 of the chopped onion, ham hock, pepper and salt to taste.

Let mixture boil for 10 minutes.

Add the collard greens, other half of the onions and more salt and pepper to taste if desired to the stock pot.

Rapidly boil for 45 minutes.

Reduce heat and let simmer for 4-6 hours.

Serve with green onions.

Collard, Mustard, Kale or Turnip Greens

Ingredients:

1 large bag of collard, kale, mustard or turnip greens,

1 package smoked turkey necks.

You can also mix the greens if you like.

Instructions:

After rinsing turkey necks,

add to large pot filled half way with water and let boil for 25-30 minutes.

Add soul food seasoning to pot as accent to season the pot (enhance flavor).

Pick stems from greens and wash several times in cold water until greens are clean (water is no longer dirty and greens are no longer gritty),

cut greens up and place in boiling water.

Allow greens to cook for an hour or until nice and tender.

Serve with fried chicken and macaroni and cheese and you have good soul food eatin'.

Virginia's Quick Greens

Ingredients:

1-2 bags of greens (whatever type you prefer)

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

3 hot peppers (chopped)

1/2 cup chopped onion

pinch of sugar

smoked meat (whatever you prefer for added flavor)

chicken soup base (creamy)

Instructions:

Put washed greens in a pot.

Pour vinegar over greens.

Add hot peppers, onion, and sugar, allow to set.

This opens the greens up so they will accept flavor and be tender.

Mix chicken soup base and hot water together; to taste.

Pour over greens.

There should be enough liquid to at least cover the greens.

Boil for 1 hour or until you feel the greens are done (nice and tender).

Comments: The key ingredient is the soup base.

A good cook never reveals his/her recipe for collards and always exaggerates on how long he/she cooks them. All day is better than not. Vinegar is a necessity. Fatback/hamhock/gizzard is also recommended.

Yes, they smell like hell, but once you've tasted a good batch, you learn to love that stink!

Guest Mnytime

They all stink like skunk if you don't like'em and smell like heaven if you do. I love'em. All of 'em. They're what humans were designed to eat.

Let's say they are what certain humans will eat. ;)

Which nasty thing is it that is made out of pigs intestines and smells like it? For years I always thought it was grits but discovered my mistake when living in the South.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Yes chitlins. Some of the nastiest smelling stuff I have ever come across.

Not that there is anything wrong with anyone that actually enjoys chitlins. ;)

I am sure there are some foods that I enjoy that some would find nasty. Not that I can think of anything that comes close to Chitlins. :D

We all know that the French take cooking very seriously. Well, many French consider the #1 national dish to be Andouillette. And that ain't nothing but 100% seasoned pork chitlins tied up in a sausage.

I always loved good chitlins. So when I moved to Paris, I joined the cult. The organization is titled AAAAA (Association de Amicables Amateurs d'Authentique Andouillette). They certify top quality homemade chitlins (andouillette) all through France.

Most of my favorite places to eat in Paris proudly display the AAAAA sign in their window.

http://www.planete-web.org/

Guest Mnytime

We all know that the French take cooking very seriously. Well, many French consider the #1 national dish to be Andouillette. And that ain't nothing but 100% seasoned pork chitlins tied up in a sausage.

I always loved good chitlins. So when I moved to Paris, I joined the cult. The organization is titled AAAAA (Association de Amicables Amateurs d'Authentique Andouillette). They certify top quality homemade chitlins (andouillette) all through France.

Most of my favorite places to eat in Paris proudly display the AAAAA sign in their window.

http://www.planete-web.org/

Well that explains the French! ;) With that as your #1 food it's no wonder they are so quick to surrender. ;) Who the hell can fight with that inside you? :blink:

One night when I was having dinner at Sylvia's (a HArlem eatery that is not as good as it used to be), a rather large group of Japanese tourists came in and were seated at 4 combined tables. They ordered a lot of food, and as each dish was placed on the table, the tour guide made a comment. When the collard greens came in, he went on for about ten minutes (in Japanese, of course), and the tourists were listening as closely as we might to a solo of rare beauty.

I have always wondered what the man said about collard greens that so enraptured his audience. :g

I think "dig in" would have told them all they needed to know.