The Jazztet

Jazz Kat

The Jazztet reunited in 1995 for a European summer concert tour.  Art, Benny, Curtis, Buster Williams, Carl Allen and myself.

They reunited several times before that tour, I think Mickey Tucker played piano, at least on the studio recordings.

Edited clarification: Not that I'm insinuating that you were suggesting that your tour was the only reunion. Just clarifying that there were other reunions.

Edited by Dan Gould

Why do I bother to document all this stuff if folks won't use the readily-available free resources?

Just look at the discography on my website for all details of Jazztet reunions that have been preserved on tape - and if Michael Weiss knows of any documentation of his tour with the group, I'd love to know. If I'm not mistaken, this was the group that played at the Jazz Cafe in London on July 7, 1995.

Mike

I don't think we need to get heavy handed with your first comment Mike. Folks may not know it's there or not have the time or werewithal to access your site.

Regarding Michael Weiss' comment, with all due respect, a group of people can only have a reunion when all the original group gets together.

I don't think we need to get heavy handed with your first comment Mike.  Folks may not know it's there or not have the time or werewithal to access your site.

Or share the obsessive, anally retentive interest.

All we're doing is adding what we ourselves know. Who cares if its documented elsewhere?

Edited by Dan Gould

Since I *already* mentioned the discography and the website earlier in this very thread, only those who aren't careful readers aren't aware of it at this point. I don't expect everyone to know about it ahead of time - that's why I made the first post.

My feeling is that it's lazy, pointless, and unproductive to say, "Uh, I think such and such happened at such and such a time" - when in 5 seconds you can say "The first recording of the post-1960s Jazztet happened in 1982." If after everyone has that baseline knowledge, someone wants to deal with a follow-up question, great: "I know the first reunion recording was in 1982. Did the group get together before then (without recording)?"

Time or wherewithal? It's a website that anyone reading this site can immediately view. It's free. There are no logins or cookies. The effort is absolutely minimal - but yes, you do have to bother to click and read. However, it takes less time to look up the correct information than it does to reply with a vague or incorrect comment. And no, it's not obsessive - it's either right or wrong. Why spend the time being wrong when in seconds you can be right?

The Internet is a vast and wonderful tool - more information is available to more people than ever in history. USE it!

Next, you want nit-picky? Go around and tell everyone that the "family reunion" isn't a reunion because the original people went and got dead. Tell the new babies and brides and grooms to go home. No, I didn't think you wanted nit-picky.

Mike

Temper, temper, Michael. When I said time and werewithal, I meant that since some of us are doing this at work, we probably don't have that much time to look at your site or other sites. We try to fit reading and posting in when we can.

Please - there are no temper issues here.

And come on, work says it's OK to read and post on organissimo??!???! (But not to follow links in organissimo postings?)

Mike

I don't know about you but I (and many others I'm sure) need to discrete about my organissimo reading. More basic research has to come at home.