The Bass

Jazz Kat

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been playing jazz on electric for 15 years. The acoustic's tone has a wonderful combination of warmth of articulation that the best electrics have yet to match, but the electric is right there across your chest, so improvising on it is a little easier. I say this even though I dont play the acoustic :mellow:

Well, it was called a double bass because it doubled the cello (in a lower octave of course), so I suppose one could call the cello a single bass.

But I wouldn't. <_<

Interesting. I figured if I hung out long enough in this thread that I'd actually learn something...

Been playing jazz on electric for 15 years. The acoustic's tone has a wonderful combination of warmth of articulation that the best electrics have yet to match, but the electric is right there across your chest, so improvising on it is a little easier. I say this even though I dont play the acoustic :mellow:

I turned my ele. up right and it was harder to get my two-finger techingique I usually do on my ele. bass.

The 2XB is a whole 'nother animal. The electric is a guitar, after all. Skills don't transfer well from one to the other. Myself, I can't get comfortable on an ebg, but then, I sold my last ebg many years ago.

There's a story about George Duvivier. When the ebg came into vogue in the late 60s for studio work, he was convinced to buy one to increase his studio work. After a few weeks, he deliberately left it in the backseat of his unlocked car. When he came back to the car it was gone. He never played one again.

A lot of us 2XB guys are like that B-)