Horace Silver Quintet (1976)

Hardbopjazz

Coming out 3/22/05 on DVD. I just pre-ordered this.

Synopsis:

A concert recording from 1976, this performance from Harold Silver and his quintet is taken from the Umbria Jazz Festival. A composer and pianist of some repute, Silver has garnered an impressive reputation for himself over his lengthy tenure in the music industry. Confessing that he prefers to work with a small group in order to allow for more improvisation, Silver allows himself--and the musicians that surround him--to stretch out and express themselves at every opportunity. Silver never ventured into the studio to record the songs presented here, making this an extra special artefact from the great jazz man

I would suppose it will be Tom Harrell, Bob Berg, Horace Silver, Steve Beckrone, Eddie Gladden.

the january edition of Jazzman shows exactly this band and also claims the following titles on the DTS-DVD:

performance from July 20, 1976

Opening

Adjustment

Barbara

In Pursuit Of The 27th Man

Song For My Father

Mike, it is Beckrone or Beskrone as the magazine shows?

Marcus

there's also a publicity from TDK Mediactive presenting the following DVDs in addition to the Silver one:

Archie Shepp Quartet Volume 1 - Teatro Alfieri , Torino 1978 with Siegrfried Kessler, Cameron Brown and Clifford Jordan (A Message From Trane / Lush Life / The Scene Is Clean)

Ahmad Jamal Trio - Munich 1993 with John Heard and Yoron Israel (All The Things You Are / Bellows / Swahili Land / Where Are You? / Acom / My Foolish Heart / Chloe

Paco de Lucia & Group - 1996

all releases are DTS ones

MCO

there's also a publicity from TDK Mediactive presenting the following DVDs in addition to the Silver one:

Archie Shepp Quartet Volume 1 - Teatro Alfieri , Torino 1978 with Siegrfried Kessler, Cameron Brown and Clifford Jordan (A Message From Trane / Lush Life / The Scene Is Clean)

Ahmad Jamal Trio - Munich 1993 with John Heard and Yoron Israel (All The Things You Are / Bellows / Swahili Land / Where Are You? / Acom / My Foolish Heart / Chloe

Paco de Lucia & Group - 1996

all releases are DTS ones

MCO

Are there release dates listed for these?

kinda late but...

on december edition of Jazzman, TDK Mediactive claims that it's Clifford Jordan

on the january edition where there is a review of this DVD it mentions Clifford Jarvis so i'm sure Bertrand is right

Alan, i think it's already available in Europe. no release dates were mentioned

Marcus

• 2 weeks later...

After I googled TDK Mediactive, it led me to this site that indicated (once you click on "catalogue" and scroll down to the jazz section) that there are two Shepp DVD dates from '77 as well as a Cedar Walton Quartet1976 Umbria JF appearance featuring George Coleman! Would love to have these DVDs.