Una Mae Carlisle/Lil Green on "Night Lights"

This week on Night Lights it's "Why Don't You Do Right," a program devoted to Una Mae Carlisle and Lil Green. Both were popular jazz-and-blues singer-songwriters in the 1940s; both spawned hits for Peggy Lee; and both are largely forgotten today. Carlisle, a teenage piano-playing protege of Fats Waller, wrote and recorded the hits "I See a Million People" and "Walkin' By the River." We'll hear recordings she made between 1938 and 1947, including one with Lester Young, a circa-1940 pro-neutrality song with the unlikely title of "Blitzkrieg Baby." Lil Green was a popular blues artist who made many recordings with her partner, Big Bill Broonzy; one of them, a recording of Horace McCoy's "Why Don't You Do Right," had a big impact on the young Peggy Lee, who recorded it with Benny Goodman's big band. (She also recorded Carlisle's "I See a Million People.") The program airs on WFIU Saturday night at 11:05 (8:05 California time, 10:05 Chicago time); you can listen live, or in the Night Lights archives, where it will be posted by Monday afternoon.

Next week: "Mary Lou's Mass." Sacred jazz from Mary Lou Williams' MUSIC FOR PEACE and BLACK CHRIST OF THE ANDES for Easter weekend.

Edited by ghost of miles

This week on Night Lights it's "Why Don't You Do Right," a program devoted to Una Mae Carlisle and Lil Green. Both were popular jazz-and-blues singer-songwriters in the 1940s; both spawned hits for Peggy Lee; and both are largely forgotten today. Carlisle, a teenage piano-playing protege of Fats Waller, wrote and recorded the hits "I See a Million People" and "Walkin' By the River." We'll hear recordings she made between 1938 and 1947, including one with Lester Young, a circa-1940 pro-neutrality song with the unlikely title of "Blitzkrieg Baby." Lil Green was a popular blues artist who made many recordings with her partner, Big Bill Broonzy; one of them, a recording of Horace McCoy's "Romance in the Dark," had a big impact on the young Peggy Lee, who recorded it with Benny Goodman's big band. (She also recorded Carlisle's "I See a Million People.") The program airs on WFIU Saturday night at 11:05 (8:05 California time, 10:05 Chicago time); you can listen live, or in the Night Lights archives, where it will be posted by Monday afternoon.

Next week: "Mary Lou's Mass." Sacred jazz from Mary Lou Williams' MUSIC FOR PEACE and BLACK CHRIST OF THE ANDES for Easter weekend.

Stuff Smith claimed that he was largely responsible for composing "Walkin' By The River." Although his lawsuit was unsuccessful (see Anthony Barnett's notes in the Stuff Smith Mosaic box for more details), the melody certainly sounds to my ears like one of Stuff's.

- Jon

Lil Green was a popular blues artist who made many recordings with her partner, Big Bill Broonzy; one of them, a recording of Horace McCoy's "Romance in the Dark," had a big impact on the young Peggy Lee, who recorded it with Benny Goodman's big band.

Not Lil Green's "Romance in the Dark," but Lil Green's "Why Don't You Do Right?" -- Peggy Lee approximates Lil Green.

Whoops--I did know that and I'm sure I announced it correctly on the show. Thanks for the catch, John; I evidently hadn't had enough coffee when I wrote up the blurb.

The program is now archived. Allen, I quote you a couple of times during the show and allude to your book American Pop.

And Chris, thanks for the cool photo!

Edited by ghost of miles

• 2 weeks later...