Lester Young playing a 'free jazz' solo in 1950

l p

Along those same lines, check out the 3-46 "D.B. Blues" from the AFRS broadcast that's on PREZ CONFERENCES. The blues-with-a-bridge form causes some confuison in the rhtyhm section, and rather than attempt to deliniate the form to get everybody back on track by spelling out the changes, Prez just goes ahead and plays "free", lines that could fit over anything and everything. Pretty amazing, really.

Along those same lines, check out the 3-46 "D.B. Blues" from the AFRS broadcast that's on PREZ CONFERENCES. The blues-with-a-bridge form causes some confuison in the rhtyhm section, and rather than attempt to deliniate the form to get everybody back on track by spelling out the changes, Prez just goes ahead and plays "free", lines that could fit over anything and everything. Pretty amazing, really.

i think that i've read that charlie parker did the exact same thing that you're describing as far as covering for the rhythm section confusion on the second version of 'rocker' (or possibly on lester leaps in?) from September 26, 1952 Rockland Palace Ballroom, New York. i haven't spotted that passage, but the researchers seem to agree.

but on the 1950 show, lester doesn't seem to do it to cover for the rhythm section.

on the 1950 show, lester doesn't seem to do it to cover for the rhythm section.

Oh no, definitely not.

It just goes to show how "free" Prez really was, both explicitly (on occasion) and implicitly (always!). So much "free jazz" (certain types, anyway) can be traced right back to Lester Young's spirit.

I've not noticed that Bird thing you mention, either. will have to check it out sometimes.

Sorry, Flurin, and all the people for not being with you,

tomorrow I will have my tooth operation... :(:(:(:angry::unsure::blink:

Gosh, I'm happy you all noticed those free elements, we discussed bunch of them at our Pres realted corner, especially here:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...45entry120582

(theme: Lester and free jazz)

I myslef can trace those as far as "Lady Be Good" solo (1939, studio date with Basie band, 2nd chorus) or even some broadcast material a bit earlier.

And of course in other numerous postwar recordings.

Edited by mmilovan