Jazz Concerts

Jazz Kat

Okay, since at my age, the clubs ain't the best option to hear good jazz yet. I haven't really seen any meat and potatoe jazz live at all yet. Are there good jazz concerts in halls and in theaters? You know, other places than in clubs.

Uh, you live in New York. Ever hear of Lincoln Center or Carnegie Hall?

Okay, since at my age, the clubs ain't the best option to hear good jazz yet. I haven't really seen any meat and potatoe jazz live at all yet. Are there good jazz concerts in halls and in theaters? You know, other places than in clubs.

Well, perhaps JazzKat has an aversion to the sort of "Night at the Opera (and not a Marx Brother in sight) atmospher of places like that.

--eric

I was asking if there's ever any good jazz there.

I was asking if there's ever any good jazz there.

...nope, none of it's good! :mellow:

JazzKat,

Summer is approaching, and in NYC that means lots of free gigs in parks, etc. that are open to everyone. Get hold of the Village Voice weekly and check the listings- Celebrate Brooklyn is every summer in Prospect Park, there's usually a few shows at Rumsey Playground in Central Park, various other shows in some downtown Manhattan parks, etc. J&R usually sponsors something late in the summer at City Hall Park- hunt around, there's a lot of good stuff out there.

JazzKat,

Summer is approaching, and in NYC that means lots of free gigs in parks, etc. that are open to everyone. Get hold of the Village Voice weekly and check the listings- Celebrate Brooklyn is every summer in Prospect Park, there's usually a few shows at Rumsey Playground in Central Park, various other shows in some downtown Manhattan parks, etc. J&R usually sponsors something late in the summer at City Hall Park- hunt around, there's a lot of good stuff out there.

My thoughts exactly. Also: World Financial Center, Battery Park, Summerstage (I heard Sun Ra there twice!)...the list goes on and is only a Google away.

JazzKat,

Yeah I heard J&R gives free summer concerts. I love that part of the city.

Jazz Kat,

Look for yourself. Jazz @ Lincoln Center presents a whole lot more than Wynton and the LCJO these days. Their programming has become much more diverse. The website is http://www.j@lc.org. Check it out.

Try a google search for Zankel Hall (part of Carnegie Hall). See their website for their Jazz series.

Check out the magazine Time Out New York (also known among New Yorkers as TONY). It is sold on most NYC streets. They have ALL the listings for jazz and any other kind of music you might ever want to hear.

regards,

matt

p.s. do they still do jazzmobile in harlem and downtown?