Is Cassandra Wilson. . . . . . .

Bright Moments

I saw Nina at the Newport Jazz Festival in '64. Couldn't wait for Getz to get off the stand so that she could get on. Shows how hip (???!) I was as a 19 year old budding jazz fan. But I console myself with what Bob Perry of Blue Note Records (the store) once said to me, "Hey, don't be too hard on yourself....you were there at least".

pretty cool marty! B-)

did nina do "sinnerman" or my other favorite "i put a spell on you"?

If you think I can remember from nearly 41 years ago, you're giving me way too much credit. I do recall however seeing her a few years later at the Westbury Music Fair (recorded by RCA Victor, don't know if it was ever re-issued on CD) in '68 the weekend following the assassination of Martin Luther King. It was very much a somber evening and she did an original song composed in his memory which was very good. Anyway, I can at least take out the LP and let you know what she performed that night if you're interested.

I wasn't there, but here's the setlist from Nina Simone at Newport 1963 (she did not appear in 1964 with Getz, but followed Cannonball Adderley on Thursday, July 4, 1963) -

Stompin' At The Savoy

Black Swan

Medley from Porgy and Bess

When Malindy sings

Zungo

Bye Bye Blackbird

The band was Phil Alondo, Al Shackman (g), Lisle Atkinson (b), Montego Joe (per).

"Nina Simone, who started interestingly with Menotti's Black Swan from The Medium, had just concluded an overlong set in which her affected singing and out-of-the-academy piano playing succeeded in driving many to drink......" - Ira Gitler, db 8/15/63 p.13

Mike

In what way? Musically, artistic temperament (Nina was known to be somewhat difficult at times)?

Hi Marty,

OK, I'll have to add to this a little bit. When I moved out here to Los Angeles from New York a few years back, I actually lived in Nina's apartment/condo while she was "overseas". Unfortunately, with her death, they decided to sell the place (I was given first dibs on buying the place, but the $$$ they wanted was outrageous... welcome to LA, though!).

Anyway, while I lived there I heard MANY great stories about Nina from my neighbors (saw some interesting pictures, too!)... she certainly was eccentric in many respects!

Like Dave, I also respect Nina for her willingness to tackle many different styles. Let's face it, she could've been quite successful (both commercially and financially) if she stuck to a "safe" style... but I've got to give respect to anyone that can create "Mississippi God Damn"!

Cheers,

Shane

The biggest similiarity I see is I like them both. That's about IT! :o

I need to explore more Nina. . . I really haven't heard much of the RCA material. I have nearly all the Cassandra there is. My favorite is "Belly of the Sun"--it seems an apex to me, a culmination of all that went before. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few releases. . . . I think she needs to move into a new "something."

I wasn't there, but here's the setlist from Nina Simone at Newport 1963 (she did not appear in 1964 with Getz, but followed Cannonball Adderley on Thursday, July 4, 1963) -

Stompin' At The Savoy

Black Swan

When Malindy sings

Zungo

Bye Bye Blackbird

The band was Phil Alondo, Al Shackman (g), Lisle Atkinson (b), Montego Joe (per).

"Nina Simone, who started interestingly with Menotti's Black Swan from The Medium, had just concluded an overlong set in which her affected singing and out-of-the-academy piano playing succeeded in driving many to drink......" - Ira Gitler, db 8/15/63 p.13

Mike

I could have sworn she was on the same set with Getz in '64. Perhaps it was Monk. Regardless of the tricks my memory is playing on me, I did see her at Newport and it could have been in '63 as I went to the jazz festival there two years in a row back in my teenage days. Sleeping on the beach, catching various performances and workshops at other times,...... those were heady times and very responsible for a lifelong passion for this music, that's for sure!

• 3 years later...

I like them both but i find it tough to put them together, besides the use of non jazz material, Simone had a more raw intense and emotional way of interpreting songs than Cassandra will ever acheive.

Simone's way of singing is the equivalent of someone pulling your hair and putting fingers in your eyeballs to make sure you're listening to the singer while on the other end Wilson is very casually brushing your shoulder in an almost apologetic way and at the same time whispering in your ear very softly , you might find this song cool to listen to.

In what way? Musically, artistic temperament (Nina was known to be somewhat difficult at times)?

Hi Marty,

OK, I'll have to add to this a little bit. When I moved out here to Los Angeles from New York a few years back, I actually lived in Nina's apartment/condo while she was "overseas". Unfortunately, with her death, they decided to sell the place (I was given first dibs on buying the place, but the $$$ they wanted was outrageous... welcome to LA, though!).

Anyway, while I lived there I heard MANY great stories about Nina from my neighbors (saw some interesting pictures, too!)... she certainly was eccentric in many respects!

Cheers,

Shane

was that apartment anywhere near hollywood blvd. & la brea/highland? talk about eccentric, i remember seeing her walking in that neighborhood in the '80s early one sunday morning in a raincoat and heels. it became apparent that she had nothing on underneath the coat when it opened while she was walking in the rain!!!!

Nina was also anti-rascism in many of her songs. She had a deep and soulful voice - I really think of her as a "soul" singer, especially on them there RCA sides! Love the earlier Colpix material too. For me an acquired taste. I didn't dig Nina right away...had to grow to like her vibrato.

Cassandra is groovy but I haven't listened to her enough to make any comparison. I dig New Moon Daughter and Belly of the Sun, though.

pretty cool marty! B-)

did nina do "sinnerman" or my other favorite "i put a spell on you"?

If you think I can remember from nearly 41 years ago, you're giving me way too much credit. I do recall however seeing her a few years later at the Westbury Music Fair (recorded by RCA Victor, don't know if it was ever re-issued on CD) in '68 the weekend following the assassination of Martin Luther King. It was very much a somber evening and she did an original song composed in his memory which was very good. Anyway, I can at least take out the LP and let you know what she performed that night if you're interested.

Pretty sure the "MLK Suite" (as it's labeled) from that particular night is the one included on SUGAR IN MY BOWL: BEST OF NINA SIMONE 1967-72. Pretty cool that you were actually there to see and hear her that night, Marty.

Stompin' At The Savoy

Black Swan

When Malindy sings

Zungo

Bye Bye Blackbird

Mike

MIKE, Thank you! I was at Newport that year and would never have recalled what she sang. Joe Williams was great that year as I recall (joined by Coleman Hawkins, Clark Terry, Howard McGhee, among others).

I've long wanted to like Nina Simone - and i do like a lot of her writing. But (as someone mentioned above) her vibrato is very hard to listen to, for me, anyway.

Cassandra Wilson is wonderful when she's at the top of her game. I guess I have such high expectations of her that anything less than her best is a huge disappointment to me, which is more about me than it is about her musicianship. I think the arranging on Blue Light til Dawn and Belly of the Sun are far and away the best (of what I've heard, that is).