What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC The RKO Story : Tales From Hollywood, all six parts.

The Orson Welles episode was really interesting with lots of facts and anecdotes about the production of Kane and Ambersons that I was unaware of.

The interviews with people who were actually involved were fascinating.

Weeds: Season 12....Obama is great in this..someone actually smokes a Camel...while lighting up a bowl...

Had Obama done this while cooking with Bobby Flay on the LAWN he would have made it a second term....

Oh well...hope his daughters can get into Colgate!!

Still watching Dragnet, and a bit of Adam-12. Not out of any love for the shows; I realize now that it's a pure nostalgia thing. I was raised by my grandmother from age 11 or so on, and we used to watch these together. Funny; she died back in '84, but I miss her now more than I did then. I must be getting old...

BBC Storyville- How Vietnam Was Lost Robert Kenner, USA, 2005

Really excellent. The Homepage blurb sums it up better than I could--

In one weekend in 1967, two occurrences at opposite ends of the world began the process whereby Americans convinced themselves that the Vietnam War was not worth fighting.

One of these was the ambush of an American battalion by the Vietcong, resulting in 61 casualties. The other was at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, where state police ejected students who were campaigning against the presence presence on campus of recruiting agents for napalm manufacturers Dow Chemical.

This brilliant film works so well because its focus is so narrow. We see survivors of the ambushed battalion and we see the women who lost their husbands and who still recall, so many years later, their grief.

We are also able to understand how, throughout universities in America, students became, (in the word of the time), 'radicalised' through their opposition to the war.

It's interesting, of course, to compare those events with the American scene now: with the war in Iraq, opposition has likely been milder because the American army no longer relies on the draft.

Great documentary. I was really moved by it when it screened here a few years back.

Watched the Pacquiao-Clottey PPV

All i can say is Bang, bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang, bang, bang ,bang, bang , bang, bang, bang ,bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.

Those who saw the main event will get it

Edited by Van Basten II

Lost episode 8

Anyone else think this is rubbish ? Seems to be wandering all over the place with no focus or cohesive narrative. I think they are setting us up for a 'just kidding' ending. :tdown

Thank goodness for Damages !

Edited by kinuta

But I have to agree, the sideways flashes were weak last night, as weak as the whole Kate-Claire taxi episode for me. Hopefully next week the tone and feel will change and get us on track for what I predict will be quite an "action movie" series of episodes.

BBC Requiem For Detroit.

About the decay and collapse of Detroit. Totally riveting must see. I'd love to visit the place to see this historic change taking place. A similar thing happened in Sheffield after the reign of Thatcher, whole swathes of what were once steel factories are now lawns and open spaces. Nothing like the apocalyptic scale of Detroit though. :tup

Lost

The longest flashback of the series raises a lot of questions. Is this shaping up as some Apocalyptic battle of God versus The Devil ?

What do you think Jazzbo ?

I'm not sure what to make of it. "Good" vs. "Evil" has long been a subtext, but I think that the reveal will be a bit less black and white. They're setting us up to a sort of "purgatory within a gate to hell" scenario, but we'll see. After a few more episodes we may have some totally different idea up for grabs!