What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Three Days of the Condor on TCM last night for the 100th time. Doesn't get played on non-commercial, un-edited TV that often.

One of my favorite spy/conspiracy films of the 70's. "He will smile---a becoming smile."

"You can take a walk, but how far if they don't print it?"

I've watched and really enjoyed the first and second episodes. I'm looking forward to the rest.

What's the upcoming Italian detective drama ?

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/titlesearch.asp?title=Inspector%20Montalbano

Might have been on before. I've not seen it. As a fan of Donna Leon and Michael Dibdin's Italian 'tec novels I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Even if my Italian is not as fluent as my Danish or Swedish!!!!

Mmm... I watched three or four episodes of Inspector Montalbano hoping it would grow on me but I just found it uninvolving and although it was pleasant eye candy I have to use the dreaded word.. boring. I prefer something grittier. The second series of Borgen also got off to an iffy start with the Afghan episode. We shall see. Nothing tops The Good Wife at present.

Luck HBO

a-walls-luck.jpg

On paper this looks like a can't miss show but, two episodes in, I'm having quite major problems just following it.

Clearly my lack of knowledge of American horse racing and it's vernacular is a serious impediment to my enjoyment.

Don't feel bad; an article I read about new TV shows listed it as a bit of a failure.

Watched Three Days of the Condor on TCM last night for the 100th time. Doesn't get played on non-commercial, un-edited TV that often.

One of my favorite spy/conspiracy films of the 70's. "He will smile---a becoming smile."

Awesome movie. Plus, it was my introduction to Max Von Sydow who became a favorite.

Awesome movie. Plus, it was my introduction to Max Von Sydow who became a favorite.

He's great in that movie; one of his best performances. Remarkable, too, how many high-quality, adult-oriented, stylish genre films they made in the early-to-mid-70's, that are still entertaining now. This, "Chinatown," "Charley Varrick," "The Hot Rock," "The Parallax View," the original "Taking of Pelham One Two Three," among quite a few others.

Watched the first show of a new NBC drama called "Awake." (Watched it "on demand" --- the premier airs March 1.) Not bad, will see how they develop it. A homicide detective is living two parallel realities in the aftermath of a car accident involving himself and his wife and son. In one reality, he and his wife survived, in the other he and his son survived. In each reality he has a different partner on the job. As it's science fiction on network tv, it could go terribly wrong, but I'll watch and see what develops.

Funny that you would post this. I was just about to ask if Fringe was worth catching up on. I saw the first 1 or 2 episodes this season and then lost track of it. I was wondering if it would be worth the effort to try and catch up with the rest of the season. I wasn't very impressed with what I saw so far and from the sound of it, maybe I should just let it go.

I had high hopes for Alcatraz but abandoned that show about 3 episodes in.

Edited by mikelz777

Funny that you would post this. I was just about to ask if Fringe was worth catching up on. I saw the first 1 or 2 episodes this season and then lost track of it. I was wondering if it would be worth the effort to try and catch up with the rest of the season. I wasn't very impressed with what I saw so far and from the sound of it, maybe I should just let it go.

It would be interesting to hear other peoples take on this season. I'm sometimes overcritical but I've found it very disappointing so far. Maybe it's a case of one trip too many to the well, the TV corporations in America do have a bad habit of squeezing the vitality out of shows that should have naturally reached a peak and finished.

I've got uneasy feelings about the future of Breaking Bad too. The last episode of the previous season just felt like such a natural end to the show, I fear they could make a total hash of the final season. We shall see.

I agree about Alcatraz, I've given up on it too.

Edited by kinuta

I think Fringe took awhile to get going this season, but since the holiday break I think it's caught it's stride. I haven't seen tonight's episode yet, but I've really enjoyed the past several weeks. I'll be sorry to see it go.

Alcatraz is "ok", I haven't given up on it completely and don't think it's nearly as bad as some people think, it's just "average" which is disappointing considering the talent involved.

Re: Alcatraz, I like the concept and thought it held promise. For me, it was too formulaic with the "criminal of the week" thing. Maybe I should have given it more time to see what was going on with the disappearance/time travel thing but it just wasn't holding my interest.

Maybe I'll have a go with catching up with Fringe if I can find the time.

I too am concerned about Breaking Bad fearing its last season will be kind of anti-climactic. Mike is still alive and I'm interested to see how that plays out. I'm not feeling the Jesse/girlfriend/her son story line at all but see it will probably be a catalyst for serious issues between him and Walt. Hank won't stop his pursuit so Jesse and Walt aren't out of the woods yet. I'll stay hopeful and keep my fingers crossed that it will be a great final season.

I actually have liked this season of Fringe almost as much as last season. I think the main problem is that they left "Peter Bishop" out of the storyline for a good chunk of the opening of the season, and the show just flat needs him there. And then there's the "monster of the week" X-Files bit I could do without (that is what mars Alcatraz thoroughly for me) that they slip into. I think when this comes back though it should be a big story arc, and it looks promising to me considering recent developments. We'll see. Even when it's not at the top of its game Walter and Astrid keep me watching, I really like those characters and the actors make them come alive.