Freddie Hubbard - Jimmy Heath

Chrome

I just found this disc at my Border's Outlet ... it's Hubbard and Heath (with Gus Simms on piano, Wilbur Little on bass, and Bertell Knox on drums) recorded live at an apparently famous Baltimore jazz club. The sound isn't perfect, but talk about incredible energy! These guys are blowing the roof off in front of a very appreciative audience.

According to the disc, it was put out by Joel Dorn/Label M ... the notes make it sound as if Dorn is/was putting out a whole series of these recently discovered vintage live tracks, but I wasn't able to find a Label M Web site or get much out of what I found online when I googled "Label M."

Regardless, this disc is fantastic.

Label M is no more, but looks like Dorn will be issuing the Left Bank stuff on Hyena records. The other Hubbard one (Fastball, from 1967) is due out tomorrow. It's a winner as well.

Mike

Well, I for one was looking forward to more live recordings on the Label M line. Besides the Hubbard-Heath, I have the one of Getz which was done in '75, also at the 'Left Bank'. Considering there is a ten year span between these two recordings alone, there are probably many live dates recorded at this one club. Were there any other live dates issued on the Label M line?

The Left Bank Jazz Society was not a nightclub. It was an organizataion which promoted jazz concerts in concert halls in Baltimore and Washington.

I saw the Left Bank's DC concerts of the Roy Haynes Hip Ensemble, Horace Silver and Art Blakey. By far, the Haynes date was the most memorable.