Baseball 2005

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Al, (w)ho is 8 and 2 right now???? :P

Yup, and the Gambler was selected to the All-Star Team. Controversy continues to sell, and I will tune in just to see the fans boo his sorry ass.

Honestly, what is the point of the All-Star Game anymore? Seems more like politics than anything else. Just like life, I guess.

Dan? Dan? I feel your pain! Your Foulke is our Cordero! It's a fluke, I tellya; if the shoe was on the other foot, Cordero would've done the same thing!

Yeah, but has Cordero been that bad all year long, after a career of tremendous consistency? At this point, I've completely given up on Foulke and would rather see a trade for just about anyone ... let Arroyo or Timlin close until they sign their top draft pick, who was a closer for St Johns, has three "+" pitches already, and like Houston Street, could go straight to being a closer in the bigs. We needed him yesterday, unfortunately, he's a Boras client so who knows how long it may take to get him signed?

But we can't let Foulke piss away any more games.

yawn.

it's time to show some respect. Here's the stats for the American League, since so many of us are AL fans...

2005 Season

Regular Season

American League

East W L PCT GB HOME ROAD EAST CENT WEST NL L10 STRK

Boston 46 35 .568 - 24-14 22-21 16-18 7-3 11-8 12-6 5-5 L2

Baltimore 44 38 .537 2.5 24-19 20-19 20-13 12-13 4-2 8-10 2-8 L2

New York 42 39 .519 4.0 25-18 17-21 13-20 6-6 12-6 11-7 5-5 W3

Toronto 42 40 .512 4.5 20-16 22-24 22-13 6-9 6-8 8-10 6-4 W1

Tampa Bay 27 56 .325 20.0 19-23 8-33 12-19 4-13 8-9 3-15 1-9 L6

Central W L PCT GB HOME ROAD EAST CENT WEST NL L10 STRK

Chicago 55 26 .679 - 28-12 27-14 7-4 26-5 10-11 12-6 6-4 W1

Minnesota 46 34 .575 8.5 26-18 20-16 13-5 19-15 6-4 8-10 7-3 W4

Cleveland 46 36 .561 9.5 21-17 25-19 7-6 15-19 9-8 15-3 8-2 W3

Detroit 37 43 .463 17.5 19-22 18-21 9-12 12-17 7-5 9-9 2-8 L4

Kansas City 26 55 .321 29.0 15-25 11-30 8-8 6-22 3-16 9-9 1-9 L4

West W L PCT GB HOME ROAD EAST CENT WEST NL L10 STRK

Los Angeles 50 32 .610 - 24-15 26-17 3-3 19-15 16-8 12-6 7-3 L1

Texas 43 38 .531 6.5 24-16 19-22 7-6 14-9 13-14 9-9 6-4 W1

Oakland 40 41 .494 9.5 27-16 13-25 13-18 4-5 13-10 10-8 9-1 W1

Seattle 35 46 .432 14.5 20-22 15-24 10-14 7-6 8-18 10-8 3-7 W2

Who's got the best record? Who could play .500 ball the rest of the season and still win 98 games? Who's on track to win 114 games? That's right, The White Sox. Not some overpriced team from Boston, not the Yankees. The White Sox. Stop whining about how your team is losing and just get used to it. If your team is not the Sox, your team will lose.

Please take a moment to remember that Boston's curse was reversed, and now it is our turn. I can't believe that 4 months into the season, I'm the only one talking about these guys. Amazing.

According to Harold Reynolds (of all people) Foulke is suffering from two things. His velocity is down and he's up in the zone. If I was a Sox fan, I'd be worried about the first of the two. I think you can correct location (to the degree lack of velocity doesn't contribute to that problem) but I'm not sure what you do at this point in the season to address velocity.

Frankly, I don't know why the Sox haven't gone to Timlin. He's been lights out as a set-up guy, although there's certainly a difference between asking someone to set-up and asking someone to close. I guess they may also not want to monkey with Foulke's psyche, at least until they have to. Of course, the trading deadline is still several weeks away, so if Foulke continues to struggle, they may have no choice but to address the problem in that manner.

Up over and Harold.

yawn.

Please take a moment to remember that Boston's curse was reversed,

It wasn't a curse, it was just bad baseball!!! :P

More like bad luck but it certainly wasn't a curse.

The baseball gods only curse teams that throw the World Series.

And until that curse is "reversed" Paul, your team has accomplished nothing. Or have they already printed up World Series tickets? Is the parade route set?

Run your mouth when October gets here.

Al,

Agree that the All-Star game isn't what it used to be, but it's still head and shoulders above any other similar event. Baseball is the most individual of all team sports. That's why it's always fun to watch the best of the best do their collective thing.

Up over and out.

Dan? Dan? I feel your pain! Your Foulke is our Cordero! It's a fluke, I tellya; if the shoe was on the other foot, Cordero would've done the same thing!

Yeah, but has Cordero been that bad all year long, after a career of tremendous consistency?

Well, he's always been consistent in one area: you can't trust Cordero with a lead of less than five runs. Numbers don't always tell the story: of all the saves that he has, I wonder just how many were NOT "save situations" until after he gave up a few runs? How many of his "wins" were the result of the Rangers having to rescue his sorry ass after he gave up the tying- or go-ahead-runs? Plenty, I can tell you! Bringing Cordero into a game is an almost certain given that the other team will score runs. That's why I knew, even with a two-run lead in last week's game against the Angels, that we were headed for extra innings.

Ah well, one man's Foulke is another man's Cordero I s'pose.

In any event, Go Sox. (White, that is! :g)

And until that curse is "reversed" Paul, your team has accomplished nothing.  Or have they already printed up World Series tickets?  Is the parade route set? 

1) Last I checked, it was the Curse of the Bambino, not the bad luck of the Bambino.

2) How little you know my man. For a team with a pittance for a payroll, a front office that could be run better by monkeys with a GM that has sabotaged his own team more times than I can count, this team has accomplished SO much. And it's not just that they've played great baseball (and that you can't even acknowledge that...I don't know WHAT to say), but they've galvanized a part of town that has been beaten up for FAR too long. I'm not saying that its going to happen, because it probably won't, but if the White Sox actually won the World Series, it would be better for Chicago than another Bears win or a Bulls win. Economically, spiritually, in every way, it would be a fantastic thing for the south side of Chicago. Only a little, and I mean a very little man would want to spite that because of something that happened 86 years ago under extraordinary circumstances that you so obviously don't at all understand.

3) So, how are you going to spin it come the 24th when we eat your beloved Red Sox alive?

4) If I get the chance to talk in October, I'll keep talking until the thread gets shut down, I promise you that much, Dan.

As if a late season push didn't seem already out of the question for the Dodgers, JD Drew was hit by a pitch that broke his wrist this weekend. No Gagne, the offense was sputtering as it was...we're fucked.

I was listening the Mariner's pre-game show tonight on the way home and they were talking about Keith Foulke. Word is he's going on the DL for a knee problem. If this turns out to be true, it will pretty much force the Sox to check Timlin's chops as a closer. If he doesn't work out, and there's some precedent for this in his past, then maybe they do start looking elsewhere. The name that came up, given that this was a Mariner broadcast, was Everyday Eddie Guardado. The concensus was that the M's would be willing to listen to trade offers, but that Guradado really likes it out here on the left coast AND he would be pretty expensive. Contractually, he has a list of 10 teams he'd be willing to go to, but it would have to make sense for all concerned.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I was listening the Mariner's pre-game show tonight on the way home and they were talking about Keith Foulke.  Word is he's going on the DL for a knee problem.  If this turns out to be true, it will pretty much force the Sox to check Timlin's chops as a closer.  If he doesn't work out, and there's some precedent for this in his past, then maybe they do start looking elsewhere.  The name that came up, given that this was a Mariner broadcast, was Everyday Eddie Guardado.  The concensus was that the M's would be willing to listen to trade offers, but that Guradado really likes it out here on the left coast AND he would be pretty expensive.  Contractually, he has a list of 10 teams he'd be willing to go to, but it would have to make sense for all concerned. 

Up over and out.

David,

I saw a quick report on the news that he is indeed injured and would return to Boston for tests...not sure if he'll actually go on the DL.

m-

Interesting news. There's been inklings of this because it was known in the offseason that he had knee issues and he chose not to have surgery. Timlin or Arroyo could close, and as I said earlier today, they drafted a closer in college who is believed to be potentially ready right now, just as the guy the A's got a year ago is. Whether you throw him into a pennant race like that, I don't know and I suspect that Theo and the rest don't believe that's the way to bring a rookie along, and as I mentioned, he is a Boras client so who knows if he can be signed anytime soon? But maybe it will force them to come to the table quicker and get it done.

And until that curse is "reversed" Paul, your team has accomplished nothing.  Or have they already printed up World Series tickets?  Is the parade route set? 

1) Last I checked, it was the Curse of the Bambino, not the bad luck of the Bambino.

2) How little you know my man. For a team with a pittance for a payroll, a front office that could be run better by monkeys with a GM that has sabotaged his own team more times than I can count, this team has accomplished SO much. And it's not just that they've played great baseball (and that you can't even acknowledge that...I don't know WHAT to say), but they've galvanized a part of town that has been beaten up for FAR too long. I'm not saying that its going to happen, because it probably won't, but if the White Sox actually won the World Series, it would be better for Chicago than another Bears win or a Bulls win. Economically, spiritually, in every way, it would be a fantastic thing for the south side of Chicago. Only a little, and I mean a very little man would want to spite that because of something that happened 86 years ago under extraordinary circumstances that you so obviously don't at all understand.

3) So, how are you going to spin it come the 24th when we eat your beloved Red Sox alive?

4) If I get the chance to talk in October, I'll keep talking until the thread gets shut down, I promise you that much, Dan.

They've accomplished absolutely NOTHING until they

A) Reach the playoffs

B) Win it all

Remember the Mariners a few years ago? Record setting wins and nothing to show for it.

I never denied that they're playing exceptional baseball. I simply point out, and continue to point out, that pennants aren't won before the All-Star break. You seem to think that they've already taken ring measurements and settled on a design.

And why exactly am I supposed to give a crap about what the team has "done" for the south side?

BTW, Sox won on Manny's 20th career grand slam, with Timlin earning the save by throwing six pitches to retire the side in the ninth. Fact is, Timlin has closed before - that's how he won his rings in Toronto, right? and has an ERA under 2 this year. No reason he couldn't do the job. I'd rather see him and Arroyo handle it until either Foulke or that draft choice are ready than see them give away any prospects for Guardado.

Well, this certainly is interesting:

Foulke goes to the D.L. and will have one knee scoped on Thursday ... and Schilling is going to work his way back to the rotation by joining the bullpen. Guess Schilling is willing after all to put team first. Best of all, as quoted on the AP wire:

With Foulke on the disabled list, Schilling will combine with Alan Embree and Mike Timlin to make up for the closer's absence without the need for a trade.

"This helps us avoid doing something desperate and shortsighted," Epstein said, calling the move "short-term."

I like the way Theo thinks!

Well, I can't say I'm suprised. I guess the only thing that's surprising is that Park didn't give up as many runs as I thought he would.

I'll bet Oakland overtakes us before the Break. So much for that vaunted Rangers offense....

And Dan, FWIW, let Paul have his fun. What's the harm in that? Remember all the years past when you were talking up the Sox as if they were gonna win it "this year." To your everlasting credit, you stuck with your team through thick and thin, always believing in them, even when it looked like they were done for the year; I've been a lifelong Ranger fan, but I've never had the kind of faith in my team as you have in yours. And last year, your persistence paid off. As a fellow baseball nut, despite the fact you praise a team I despise (:g), you have my undying respect. So, with all due respect, ease up on the guy; let Paul have his fun! Who knows? Maybe this really is THE year!

Then again, what year was it that the Mariners won 114 games? No one remembers because...... didn't they get knocked out in the first round? :o

Edited by Big Al

Then again, what year was it that the Mariners won 114 games? No one remembers because...... didn't they get knocked out in the first round? :o

This is exactly the point I was making above! Only time will tell if the White Sox will be remembered like the '84 Tigers or like the Mariners.

The more I think about Schilling in the pen, the less sense it makes as far as the claim that they think this is the best way to get him ready for the rotation. I mean, beyond the fact that no one knows how he will respond to working out of the pen, in terms of:

How long does it take him to get warm and ready to go?

How does he respond if he's asked to get loose while a pitcher works out of a jam, sits down, and then is asked to get loose again two innings later?

but also, this totally contradicts the usual process of getting a rehabbing pitcher ready to rejoin the rotation, which is:

building up endurance by gradually stretching out the pitch count

by going 70, 90, 100 pitches, regaining command of your pitches by sheer repetition

If Schilling is going to be a set-up man or closer, how do you know that his stuff will be good enough and most of all, consistent enough, for a one or two inning appearance, and if that's the work he gets in, how will he develop both the consistency and the endurance to be a starter again?

The more I think of it, the more I realize that this really a stopgap measure, as Theo says, it allows us to avoid doing something hasty and shortsighted. They want to see how Schilling responds in the bullpen, and one of four things will happen:

They'll see how things go and then determine if a trade-deadline deal has to be made or not;

Foulke has his surgery and returns his to usual self, in which case Schilling goes to the rotation;

They make a deal for a closer or bring up the rookies, and Schilling goes to the rotation;

or last but certainly not least, Schilling is actually being groomed to be the closer the rest of the way, and they believe that the starting rotation that got them to first place without Schilling can keep them there if Schilling closes.