Baseball 2005

What about Cashman?

His still being employed is very un-Steinbrenner like.

Yeah, but Cashman is in the last year of his deal, and its been no secret that he is highly unlikely to stay.

as for RJ, I saw a surprising statistic today that last year, through 12 starts, the D-Backs had a better record than the Yanks do in RJ's 12 starts for them. Very strange when you consider how little run support he got last year.

But then again, the Yanks are 0-22 in games they score three or fewer runs, and that puts them in a category with the Royals and Rockies (horrible) and the Marlins (great pitching but very inconsistent).

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

We did make it and had a great time, even though it was way too cold for we Florida people. :ph34r:

We won both games, Wells had a no-hitter into the 6th on Tuesday, and I have to say that sitting on top of the Green Monster is one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life. Anyone who gets the chance owes it to themselves to experience the Mahnstah!

Once I get the film developed and digitized, I'm going to post some pics in the thread I started about our Boston trip, so look for it sometime next week.

A hot team was beaten by a hotter team (and again last night). :)

In case you missed it, here are a selection of photos from Fenway.

Tuesday, June 14 was the 230th anniversary of the founding of the Army by the Continental Congress, so there were a huge number of folks in uniform and a very nice pre-game ceremony:

22462_p294581.jpg

Wells stares in at Junior:

full_22462_p294582.jpg

Wells delivers to Griffey:

full_22462_p294585.jpg

Trot Nixon awaits the delivery:

full_22462_p294583.jpg

Big Papi waves the bat:

full_22462_p294584.jpg

Good shot of Tek with the pitch on the way:

full_22462_p294586.jpg

From the Monster (you can see the shift they pulled with Griffey at bat):

full_22462_p294588.jpg

And we gotta finish up with these two:

full_22462_p294587.jpg

And the championship banner:

full_22462_p294589.jpg

I guess Yankee fans had to enjoy last nights late inning explosion, but doesn't it still have to give pause, considering:

Johnson was back to being awful after two excellent starts;

The D-Rays still got 18 hits;

It was, after all, the D-Rays that coughed up all those late inning runs?

I guess it's time to give up on the Rangers' hopes of playoffs this year. Already lost two of three to the Angels, and if the Rangers wanna even THINK about post-season play, they're gonna have to figure out a way to beat the Angels.

Let's see, we got rid of Drese and Astacio early on cuz they stunk up the field. When, oh WHEN, are we gonna rid ourselves of the curse that is Chan Ho(rribly Outta the) Park?

But Al, the Sox road record, even after the sweep of the Indians, is like 18-20 or something. Its not the road record that's a problem, not at this point, its consistent starters! That'll be the downfall of the Rangers, not the team's performance on the road.

Meanwhile, one more dip on the Steinbrenner roller coaster, while the Sox creep within 1 of the O's. With Schilling a couple of rehab starts away and the other starters recovering their early season form, I got a good feeling right now about the defending champs! :g

But Al, the Sox road record, even after the sweep of the Indians, is like 18-20 or something.  Its not the road record that's a problem, not at this point, its consistent starters!  That'll be the downfall of the Rangers, not the team's performance on the road.

We have starters? :blink::bad:

:g

Well, til last night Kenny Rogers was an all-star, and pitching like it.  What I've missed is who you are replacing Drese and Astacio with ... I know they weren't doing very well, but ...

Yeah, last night was definitely a fluke for Kenny, but still: the Angels are the team the Rangers are gonna need to beat if they wanna talk playoffs at all. So if Kenny goes 19-2, but his two losses are against the Angels, those other 19 wins are gonna be pretty meaningless (baseball-wise, not contract-negotiations-handled-by-Satan-Boras-himself-wise) if the R's aren't in the playoffs.

As for Drese and Astacio: Astacio should've been canned a long time ago. Why they waited so long is beyond me. Letting Drese go was just plain stupidity, blind rage at trying to show the boys who's in charge. Drese was no worse than any of the other arms on that staff (anyone mention Chan Horrible?), so for the Rangers to let Drese go and keep that loser Park around shows the stuff-shirts only care more about the bottom line as opposed to having a good team on the field. (Of course, letting Park go would mean that the world's worst GM John Hart would have to swallow his humongous ego and admit he was wrong about signing ol' rubber arm to A-Rod dollars!)

Oh how I long for the good ol' days of Eddie Chiles..... :wacko:

Red Sox need to thank the Braves right about now! ^_^ Andruw Jones has 22 homers! :o Braves are a minor league team these days, but seem to have a lot of talent on the farm....

Trivial fact of the day...did you know that in his last year, Dave Kingman hit 34 homers, and drove in 95 R.B.I.'s???(only hit .210 , but still amazing no one offered him a contract for '87) I always loved to watch him hit...not that he did that often....but when they left the park, they really left the park....

Edited by BERIGAN

Red Sox need to thank the Braves right about now! ^_^  Andruw Jones has 22 homers! :o Braves are a minor league team these days, but seem to have a lot of talent on the farm....

Trivial fact of the day...did you know that in his last year, Dave Kingman hit 34 homers, and drove in 95 R.B.I.'s???(only hit .210 ,  but still amazing no one offered him a contract for '87) I always loved to watch him hit...not that he did that often....but when they left the park, they really left the park....

Yes, and we'd certainly appreciate further assistance from the Braves over the rest of the weekend, then we can root for the O's against the Yanks with a clear conscience. :g

I always laughed at Sports Illustrated's review of Kingman's baseball skills:

Hits the ball high, far and seldom.  Catches it occassionally. 

:g