Baseball 2005

Just brought in the paper and....

OH YES!!! OH YES!!!! OH YES!!!!!!

THE DROUGHT IS OVER!!! THE PLAGUE HAS BEEN LIFTED!!!!

CHAN HORRIBLE PARK IS HISTORY!!!

IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME!!!!

But you just KNOW as soon as he gets back to the NL, he'll go back to being the mediocre pitcher he was with the Dodgers. Hell, mediocre would've been better than the way he pitched here. And that was when he DID pitch, and wasn't being sidelined by injures!

AMEN AND HALLELUJAH!!!!! Miracles DO happen! I thought this day would never come!!!

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man what a snooze-fest the trade deadline turned into. I can't believe the Sox did nothing to improve the bullpen so Schilling can go to the rotation where he belongs. :excited:

But at least they were smart enough not to deal Manny. I still can't believe those rumors had so much leg to them. Mike Cameron and Aubrey Huff for a certain Hall of Famer? Maybe Ortiz getting walked four times with Manny out of the linup made them wake up to what their offense would be like without him.

And the Yanks - I guess they figure that they've got enough warm bodies to pitch that with Pavano and maybe Wright seemingly nearly ready to return, they didn't really have to do anything.

Still, its the first trade deadline in the Torre era that the Yanks aren't in the lead for one playoff spot or another.

Edited by Dan Gould

SS,

I'd give just about anything to see and actual HOF ceremony, but that most likely is not in the cards.

Boy do I remember that pine tar deal. I don't think I've ever seen anyone angrier than Brett in all the years I've been watching sports. He looked like he could've killed someone.

Those were the days. The rivalry between the Yanks and Royals only lasted a few years but it had all the intensity of the current iteration with the Red Sox. That three year run of playoff series between '76 and and '78 made for great baseball. I think there's still a dent from my head hitting the ceiling of my folk's house after Chambliss hit that one out in '76. Crazy stuff.

Up over and out.

Congrats to Boggs and Sandberg, two very worthy players. I was reminded yesterday of Ryne's greatest game when ESPN Classic showed the infamous 6/23/84 Cubs-Cards matchup - a great ballgame by any standard. I remember seeing that very game as a kid. Anyway, Sandberg went on to be a great team player, so eat your heart out Joe Morgan. Hope your petty no-show was worth the time spent with family.

Congrats also to Peter Gammons. I think Kruk's induction will take a little longer...

:)

Congrats to Boggs and Sandberg, two very worthy players. I was reminded yesterday of Ryne's greatest game when ESPN Classic showed the infamous 6/23/84 Cubs-Cards matchup - a great ballgame by any standard. I remember seeing that very game as a kid. Anyway, Sandberg went on to be a great team player, so eat your heart out Joe Morgan. Hope your petty no-show was worth the time spent with family.

Congrats also to Peter Gammons. I think Kruk's induction will take a little longer...

What's this about Joe Morgan? I've grown to despise the man as an analyst, never more so than when he defended A-Rod's glove-slap in the ALCS by asking, "So he's more of a man for letting himself be tagged out?" But if you're saying that Joe Morgan didn't show because he thinks Rhyno doesn't belong ... :rmad:

What's this about Joe Morgan? I've grown to despise the man as an analyst, never more so than when he defended A-Rod's glove-slap in the ALCS by asking, "So he's more of a man for letting himself be tagged out?" But if you're saying that Joe Morgan didn't show because he thinks Rhyno doesn't belong ... :rmad:

I don't know about the reasons for his noshow at the HOF ceremony and I cannot agree with a defense of A-Rod for glove slap, but that aside, Morgan is a superb analyst. His experience playing the game really comes through when he is dissecting game situations and I for one totally enjoy listening to him. Much, much more so than McCarver, for example.

Well of course, McCarver's schtick grew old a long, long time ago!

Actually, my distaste for Morgan really started when he covered the College World Series some time ago and had some really obnoxious things to say about my alma mater, Florida State.

Morgan's distaste for Sandberg is pretty well known. I'm certainly not the first person to observe that JM's absence from this year's ceremony was, er, convenient.

Well, it may be, but this is the first time I've heard of it that I can think of.

But all the more reason to dislike Morgan, as Sandberg should have been a first-ballot election, and Morgan's "absence" should have occured two years ago.

Radio station WFAN in NYC is reporting that Rafael Palmiero has tested postive for steroids("WFAN has learned...") and  that this will soon be announced by MLB.  At this moment I can't find the news anywhere else.

Breaking news on ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2121659

You gotta be a flipping moron to get caught this year. The only positive I can see is that maybe now Congress will call Sammy back, see if they can break him.

You gotta be a flipping moron to get caught this year.  The only positive I can see is that maybe now Congress will call Sammy back, see if they can break him.

I don't think the O's will mind giving Sosa some time off. Heaven knows, as a Cub fan, I was ready to give him the rest of his career off.

That really sucks about Rafi. Just when I was hoping Baltimore could turn it around and get back in the thick of it. They still might, I guess, but their momentum has been vaporizing.

BTW, if you Google "Joe Morgan" "Jealous" "Ryne Sandberg" (or try "Petty") you'll see at least some recent articles on that whole deal. But it's been pretty obvious from various interviews and comments over the years that Big Red Morgan doesn't like sharing the love. Except his man-love for Barry Bonds or Pujols, but that's another story. :)

You gotta be a flipping moron to get caught this year.  The only positive I can see is that maybe now Congress will call Sammy back, see if they can break him.

I don't think the O's will mind giving Sosa some time off. Heaven knows, as a Cub fan, I was ready to give him the rest of his career off.

That really sucks about Rafi. Just when I was hoping Baltimore could turn it around and get back in the thick of it. They still might, I guess, but their momentum has been vaporizing.

BTW, if you Google "Joe Morgan" "Jealous" "Ryne Sandberg" (or try "Petty") you'll see at least some recent articles on that whole deal. But it's been pretty obvious from various interviews and comments over the years that Big Red Morgan doesn't like sharing the love. Except his man-love for Barry Bonds or Pujols, but that's another story. :)

I haven't noticed your posts before, evonce, but I like your style. :P

And being a Cub fan doesn't hurt either (born into a Cub family, I took a detour to another team with a history of woe, though I'll always root for the Cubbies.)

I see Ryan Franklin from the hapless M's was busted for steriods today. 90 days in the hole, big fella.

Apparently the tests that have ensnared Palmiero and Franklin took place quite some time ago. Why the delay in the results being made public, I don't know, unless the CBA mandates some kind of "appeal" time before a player can be outed.

I was listening to an interview with a senior writer from USA Today on the way home yesterday and he said that the word is there will be another big name player busted for juice within the next couple of weeks. Please don't let it be Giambi.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

d-cakes are in 1st place in the west...

only if the tribe played in the nl west

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Just keep taking care of the Yanks, and you'll start climbing closer to the Wild Card, and help the Sox establish some control over first place.

Meanwhile, the Yanks declined Bernie's option, which was no surprise, but apparently Bernie plans to keep playing and his agent seems to think that he'll just move to a corner outfield position, and Bernie thinks he might stay with the Yanks anyway ... but how could that happen with Matsui presumably re-signing, and Sheffield still with another year in right? Kinda sad watching Bernie these past months, and the Yanks may regret not making a move for a center fielder before the deadline.

More on Palmiero from today's NYT:

The positive drug test that has left Rafael Palmeiro's legacy in doubt involved the potent anabolic steroid stanozolol, a person in baseball with direct knowledge of the sport's drug-testing program said yesterday.

Stanozolol, known by its brand name, Winstrol, was most notably linked to the Olympic sprinter Ben Johnson of Canada, who was stripped of a gold medal in 1988 after testing positive for that steroid.

Palmeiro said Monday that he had never intentionally taken steroids, but stanozolol does not come in dietary supplements and is among the most popular steroids on the market. It can be ingested or injected and usually remains in a person's system for at least a month.

This may completely destroy his chances of reaching the HoF. What a legacy, from pointing his finger at Congress, to testing positive for the same steroid that Ben Johnson used, and something that's not in any dietary supplement. Pathetic.