Baseball 2005

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite Red Sox "news" but I'm sure interesting to their players and fans. Derek Lowe in La-La land. I only wish this article showed a photo of the woman in this affair:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/26754.htm

Not as bad as Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich (anyone here remember that story?), but an interesting, quick read. :P

Not quite Red Sox "news" but I'm sure interesting to their players and fans.  Derek Lowe in La-La land.  I only wish this article showed a photo of the woman in this affair:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/26754.htm

Not as bad as Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich (anyone here remember that story?), but an interesting, quick read. :P

Here she is, Marty:

carhug.jpg

Not as purty as the other "reporter" the Post writer mentions:

lisa5.jpg

A more interesting story came out of the Boston Herald last week, which basically claimed that John Henry was so personally appalled at Derek Lowe's off-field behavior last year that he specifically ordered that Lowe not be re-signed. Among his transgressions: showing up at a charity golf tournament hosted by the Sox with a woman not his wife. Lowe reportedly wasn't concerned about Henry's reaction, saying "He's a guy, he'll understand." This same "friend" went on to say that Lowe has a "drinking problem".

Not Ms. Hughes if you do a Google on Lisa Guerrero and look at the images that pop up.

I just did a google on Lisa Guerrero and the image I posted does not come up. Furthermore, the first picture I posted and the picture you posted look like the same girl to me, and I found that picture by googling "Carolyn Hughes" not Lisa Guerrero.

From today's Fort Worth Star Telegram:

Rogers gets a free ride all around

Randy Galloway

IN MY OPINION

One thing about crime that we already knew:

It's never about justice being served. It's always about the best lawyers.

So, when Kenny Rogers did the crime, caught cold on video, doubt still remained about him having to do the full time.

The evidence didn't matter. Neither did the "power" of baseball commissioner Bud Selig in sentencing Rogers to a 20-game suspension.

Rambo immediately hid behind the players' union.

In baseball, that's like having a California jury on the payroll.

Justice lost on Tuesday.

Union lawyers prevailed again over management's legal team, and Rambo Rogers is now free, free at last, to pitch and pout and push around little guys carrying cameras.

Only in America.

The suspension ends today, reduced to 13 games by arbitrator Shyam Das, who heard the union's grievance that Selig had treated Rogers unfairly.

And, of course, the desperate Rangers will rush Rogers back to the mound tonight in Boston.

Oh, for a little backbone in Arlington.

Then again, jellyfish don't have backbones.

The lone concern of the Rangers is that Rogers will win a few more games this season, and, at the end of September, that third-place finish in the AL West might be in the vicinity of .500.

It's all about accommodating dear Kenny, who since he broke his hand punching a water cooler back in mid-June has exactly two wins.

And, in that same span, the Rangers have lost 7 1/2 games in the standings.

Rogers' selfish, punkish acts destroyed the season, but, again, out of pitching desperation, the team will cater to him, the same as some geek named Shyam Das did Tuesday.

There is, of course, an alternative in dealing with Rogers, but it would be a bold move, and that's not happening in Arlington these days.

The biggest worry among the team hierarchy is butt coverage.

Instead of pitching tonight, Rogers should be released by the Rangers today.

If Bud Selig can't beat the union, the Rangers can at least send a message of their own about the direction of the franchise and about the type of players they want.

Cut Rogers, or trade him.

There is not a no-trade clause in Rogers' contract, only a verbal agreement between the pitcher and owner Tom Hicks.

If the Rangers release Rogers, contending teams will be scrambling to sign him. Since the Rangers aren't contending, who cares?

And if trading Rogers violates a verbal agreement, how much violating of the team's trust has Rogers done lately?

Even before Rogers went on his rampage June 29, there was little chance of re-signing him anyway. Rogers was livid at the team after contract renegotiations broke down.

Then that anger was aimed at certain sportswriters (I hope I was included) who suggested Rogers ducked pitching against the Angels because of his contractual pout.

Sorry, Kenny, but I think you did.

But a guy mad at management and sportswriters suddenly decides to attack TV cameramen. Figure that one out.

Actually, it's Hicks, John Hart and Buck Showalter who should be angry.

And these are the people who should be telling Rogers that he's no longer welcome in a Rangers uniform.

Instead, the leadership continues to kiss Rogers' butt, and that won't change between now and the end of the September.

Have you noticed while Rogers offered an apology to almost everyone involved, he has never apologized to the organization?

And he won't. Bet that.

With the union lawyers prevailing Tuesday, Rogers ends up having a nice two-week vacation, with full pay, and now returns to the Rangers with a chance to pad his stats in the last six weeks.

Those padded stats will come in handy this fall when Rambo enters the free-agent market.

It's all win, win, win for Rogers, except for maybe the ink stains on his fingertips from being booked at the Tarrant County jail.

And except for maybe the legal action that is still to come, including civil suits.

But baseball justice was Rambo's best friend Tuesday.

The union lawyers won, as usual.

And, in Arlington, no one has the guts to make the next bold move.

This is how much it sucks to be a Ranger fan right now!

Oh but we’re gonna set a world’s record for home runs!

Big fucking deal. Monday night, 16 hits, stranded 12 runners. TWELVE runners!!! That is completely unacceptable for a team with such a vaunted offense.

Dan, I hope you’re enjoying the free pass you guys’re getting right now, and better hope that your guys can keep up the momentum when the White Sox come to town, cuz I predict a sweep by the Yankees when my ragtag bunch hits the Bronx.

Johnny, where’s your guys? 3rd place is ripe for the taking!

I'm 100% with you, Al. What he got from the arbitrator is a joke - and didn't I hear something about "his suspension being taken into account if he fails to reach certain contractual incentives"??? What the fuck is that?

The only thing to look forward to is the welcome he will get from the Fenway Faithful, on national TV, tonite. I hope the booing never lets up, from the moment he steps onto the field til he departs.

Chicago's Scott Podsednik appears to be getting hit in the face by a fan as he catches a fly ball hit by the Yankees' Tony Womack at Yankee Stadium.

You know, that's the way it looked on the video, it certainly looks even more to be the case in the photo. Jackass. :angry:

Seeing the longer interview of Selig last night, for the first time ever, I was completely on his side. I even saw REAL emotion from him. He wasn't going to lose it, just you could tell this pissed him off.

Considering Roger's age, I really am surprised the Rangers don't release him, but they do have a real problem with pitching... Al, I See Chan Ho Park pitched well last night in the spacious new digs of his! :P

Hey, hows about the Braves! :blink: I thought for sure this would be the end of the streak, what with having to call up half of the Double A team! This kid Jeff Francoeur, has not walked in over 80 plate appearances! I guess you expect a 21 year old to be a bit impatient, but you don't expect a .432 average either, keep a hackin' kid, till they figure you out!

How does a team with 3 rookies playing the 2 corner outfield positions have a 5 and 1/2 lead in the NL east? I mean, I now the division is fairly weak and all, but they have had rookies at 3rd, catcher, and on the mound for significant amounts of time this year, and started to pull away at the very same time!

I have been bored with the braves the last few years, the team is too cheap to get a player or two to get over the hump, and I imagine the same thing will happen again this year, but the fresh blood makes it more exciting to watch them.

Getting Farnsworth was a very good move, the bullpen has just sucked this year, if Smoltz's elbow could have handled it for this year, they would be about 14 games ahead instead of 5....

Edited by BERIGAN

You have to know how bad its gotten when the Yanks sound like Jered Wright's return next week is akin to the second coming. Apparently, Carl Pavano's stay on the DL had now been extended at least another six weeks due to rotator tendonitis, and with The Unit's back acting up, I guess just about anything positive pitching-wise has to be reason for optimism. Forget about the fact that Wright was stinko early in the year even when he was healthy.

Another loss to the Sox today in extra innings ruining another great pitching performance by the unlikliest of all the pinstripe hurlers, Aaron Small. The Yank's vaunted offense was able to generate all of two run in the last two games. I know Steinbrenner is already band aiding the season by blaming bad luck in the pitching department, but for all they money he's paying his offesive guys, they sure don't do much in the clutch.

Signed,

Bitter and marginally disenfranchised Yankee fan.

Up over and out.