Baseball 2005

Most people seem to think that once the trading deadline passes, players can no longer change teams. That's not true. Don't forget, Larry Walker moved from the Rockies to the Cards in August of last year. All someone has to do is clear waivers. Guys with huge contracts like Manny or Alphonso Soriano, would slide through without a hitch. Jayson Stark said on ESPN this morning, that he wouldn't be surprised to see some of the big names that were being discussed a week ago playing someplace else before the end of August.

Up over and out.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people seem to think that once the trading deadline passes, players can no longer change teams.  That's not true.  Don't forget, Larry Walker moved from the Rockies to the Cards in August of last year.  All someone has to do is clear waivers.  Guys with huge contracts like Manny or Alphonso Soriano, would slide through without a hitch.  Jayson Stark said on ESPN this morning, that he wouldn't be surprised to see some of the big names that were being discussed a week ago playing someplace else before the end of August.

Up over and out.

No question.

One of the reasons that there weren't a lot of moves was the surprising number of teams that still think they are in contention. That will change before August is out, and yes, some of those players will be available. I wouldn't be surprised if Soriano goes once Texas fades out of the race (sorry Big Al, but this isn't a secret to you, is it?) and maybe Billy Wagner gets offered when the Phils fade, too. Maybe the Sox deal for Wagner if Foulke doesn't return on time or doesn't show a return to form?

If I am not mistaken, though, a trade does have to be made by the end of August, because post-season rosters can only come from players on the roster on September 1, isn't that right?

One of the reasons that there weren't a lot of moves was the surprising number of teams that still think they are in contention.  That will change before August is out, and yes, some of those players will be available.  I wouldn't be surprised if Soriano goes once Texas fades out of the race (sorry Big Al, but this isn't a secret to you, is it?)

What's sad is that it is a secret to the Rangers, who still think they are in contention.

Eight runs against the Devil Rays last night and they STILL can't post a W.

If I was Mench, Texeira, Blalock, I'd be contacting my agent to get me traded to a team that actually wants to make the necessary moves to win.

dan

u ever see the rocket live?

No, but come to think of it, with the Astro's turnaround, its still possible that you could see the rocket at Fenway in October.

That would be a helluva sight.

I don't think that the Red Sox will be playing any other National League teams this season.

If you want to see the sox in the world series, you'll need to fly here, my man.

I predict we get swept by the Cardinals. Yep. I said it.

You guys do realize that the gap between the two colored Sox teams is getting thinner as the guys in Red have now won seven in a row? Oughta be interesting in the next few months.

And what the heck happened to the Nationals? Only three wins since the Break. Ah well, rookie jitters I guess. Either that, or someone reminded them that they used to be the Montreal Expos.

Meanwhile, my guys have lost two straight to the third-worst team in baseball, and seven in a row at home. May and June sure seem like ages ago now. October can’t come soon enough for me.

I predict you won't get there.

Care to predict how your teams jaunt through New York and Boston next week will go?  C'mon, tell us.  6-0?  5-1?

Considering that we're better as a road team than home team at the moment, one could make a case for sweeps. Although, honestly, I doubt it. However, a sweep of the Yanks and taking two off of the Red Sox wouldn't be out of the question depending on pitching. And, yep, that'd be 5-1. I think more realistically, we take 2 out of 3 from each, so 4-2 is my official call.

As for your prediction, quit your whining. The White Sox will rule October baseball until we get our asses handed to us in St. Louis.

Speaking of which, it looks like the Big Unit might finally go on the shelf for his bad back, or at least miss a start:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2127912

How many more years is he signed for?  :g

Even one more is too many. I guess I qualify as an oldtimer now, but jeez when I was getting into baseball and even during my 20s, 30s and even 40s, I can't remember any team rushing to sign a 41 year old pitcher (a pitcher!!!!! for Christ sake) and throwing millions and a multiyear contract to boot. Totally insane. What the hell was the Yankee front office thinking?

Speaking of which, it looks like the Big Unit might finally go on the shelf for his bad back, or at least miss a start:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2127912

How many more years is he signed for?  :g

Even one more is too many. I guess I qualify as an oldtimer now, but jeez when I was getting into baseball and even during my 20s, 30s and even 40s, I can't remember any team rushing to sign a 41 year old pitcher (a pitcher!!!!! for Christ sake) and throwing millions and a multiyear contract to boot. Totally insane. What the hell was the Yankee front office thinking?

They were thinking that they were getting the guy who won 16 games for a god-awful Diamondbacks team and figured that with typical Yankee run production, he might win 25.

Tell you the truth, I was afraid he might, too.