Baseball 2005

Come on, John: I know your boys can take third EASY! That way, my boys will be in last where they truly belong. :wacko:

Well, let's see. The Rangers are 12.5 games out and the M's are 17.5 games out. Considering that the Rangers were in the hunt just 6 weeks ago, they are REALLY sliding fast and the M's finally brought up 19 year old pitching phenom Felix Hernandez who struke out 11 and lowered his era to 0.86 on Monday...I think you may be on to something.

But lets not kid ourselves. The M's are REALLY bad. As bad as you think the rangers are, the M's are still 5 games below them. The teams may be going in different directions right now, but it's been a rough summer here in Seattle.

No kidding. In fact, I’ll trade you my stuffed suits for yours. But the Rangers are facing a cold reality: all those things they thought they had while they were winning before the All-Star Break (great offense, solid defense, better-than-usual pitching) have completely unraveled. Take Alfonso Soriano. PLEASE!!! His error last night ignited a five-run rally that led to our 8th straight loss. Our bullpen is crying for mercy right now because our starters never had it to begin with. And our “ace,” who has killed any hopes of a lucrative contract thanks to his woes on AND off the field, has only won two games since he broke his hand. And with as good as our offense is, breaking all sorts of records & all that, the one thing we lack is that which is key to a WINNING offense: good clutch hitting. And even then, what’s the point? The Rangers can score 10+ runs, but the pitching staff still can’t hold any kind of lead given to them.

In other words, this is a team that is facing life-draining frustration because they had a chance: hell, it was in their hands right before the break. And now they face the prospect of another disappointing finish, another long off-season; no direction from their leaders; no pitching whatsoever.

I think we’re going to see the exit of a lot of good players during the off-season. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if these guys don’t already have calls into their agents to get them off of this sinking ship.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll take some of those big boppers off your hands. :g One thing I can say about Seattle, the players always love playing here. It's a beautiful part of the country, the fans are in your corner no matter what (this really bugs me being from Philadelphia and all, but that's another topic all together), the new ballpark supposedly has the best club houses in baseball and the media are very docile & unobtrusive.

Mark Teixeira would love it here...can he play outfield? :lol:

Al, I really don't think your team is as bad as you do! A lack of good pitching puts a strain on a team, if you can get rid of an offensive(In more ways than one) player or two for pitching this offseason. It can be done, hell look at how the Yankees got a pitcher from the pitching starved Rockies (Shawn Chacon) who had a respectable ERA around 4 in mile high. Why aren't the Rangers trying to do things like that? Ok, you may have front office issues, but if you guys gave up Soriano and yes, one of the kids(Who has Boros as his agent?) and get two quality starters, no reason in the world your team can't compete next year...everyone seems to hit when they come to the Rangers, hell trade Teixeira and Blalock, and get 3 good arms! :g:w

Edited by BERIGAN

Big Al,

Berigan's on to something there- it really is worth it to trade some bats to get some good arms. First, though, you need a GM with some onions who's not afraid to mek some deals. I like what Omar Minaya has done with the Mets. He's pretty much made over the team by being agressive with his deals. Sure, some deals may fall flat, but he's at least trying to make the team better. Big Al for GM!!!! :tup

The Rangers' stuffed suits remember all-too-well the busts that were Chan Ho Park and A-Rod. Of course, it's their JOB to be able to find the talent and keep it, and not overspend on duds.

Trade some of our bats? Fine with me. Soriano should be the first to go! As I've said all along, I'm sure the young guys on our team wouldn't mind being traded to a team that wants to win NOW, as opposed to a team that is constantly building for a future that seems to be further and further away with each passing season.

But hey, we finally won today. Woo hoo! :rolleyes:

The really fun place is the junior circuit.  As Jayson Stark said this morning on ESPN, all the teams in the A.L. playoff hunt are so fundamentally flawed that it should make for the most interesting race in recent memory . . . The Red Sox have major pitching woes and my Yankees are so messed up, where would I begin?   

Its true, but I think the Red Sox can fix their pitching problems so long as Foulke returns to being Foulke and Schilling returns to the front of the rotation. There's also significant help on the way from the minors for September and in all likelihood, the playoff roster, from future stars like Jon Papelbon, who's had a couple of impressive starts so far replacing Wade Miller, and Craig Hansen, who I believe will go down as the steal of the 2005 draft, as he was a certain top 5 pick until he signed with Scott Boras. That scared teams away and allowed the Sox to get him at #26, and yet it only took about a month to get him signed. He's got awesome stuff and will probably follow that A's reliever in going from college ball to the majors on the fast track.

Paging Paul

Paging Paul

PAGING PAUL

You predicted 5 of 6 against the Sox and Yanks, and you were nearly right about the split, just wrong about who's on the losing end. I know no team is as bad as it looks on a losing streak and no team is great as it looks on a winning streak, but is anyone concerned about facing the White Sox in the playoffs? Is there any reason to be? Looks to me like the weakest "best" team in the league in many a moon.

But I'm sure any day now - maybe after the White Sox break the current losing streak - Paul will set me straight on how they're destined to be swept by the Cards in the World Series.

Yeah, right.

Edited by Dan Gould

A 1-11 road trip. :bad:

Can this season get any worse?

No, but at least you didn't go 0-19, like some teams!

Any truth to the rumors about Soriano being claimed by Minnesota and possibly getting traded? That might be the bat that the Twins need to contend in the Wild Card.

Dan, yes it’s true, but I’d be surprised if it actually goes through. All that Minnesota’s offering are a couple of below-.500 pitchers, and we already have plenty of those, thankyouverymuch! How ‘bout that Kevin Gryboski? The O’s have gotta be laughing themselves silly over THAT one! But then, a lousy W-L record and an even lousier ERA has never stopped this bunch of bozos that allegedly “run” this team. (So far, they’ve only “run” them into the ground!)

John, I predict a tie for dead last when this series is all over.

1-12 road trip. Un-freakin-believable! :bad:

``I'm always worried about him,'' said Yankee right fielder Gary Sheffield, who is Gooden's nephew. ``The family has tried everything. I've sent him to rehab, spent a lot of money. There comes a point where you just have to let him go through what he has to go through.''

http://news.tbo.com/news/MGBK4K22RCE.html

What do y'all think of Milton Bradley and his comments about Jeff Kent?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2141482

Apparently it started when Kent hit a double with Bradley on first and he failed to score, and Kent questioned his hustle or whatever. Now its "Jeff Kent doesn't know how to deal with African-Americans".

What an ass that guy is. Its the same response that Neon Deion gave to Pudge Fisk when he hit a pop-up and didn't run down the baseline and Fisk told him to move his ass and Deon said, "Slavery ended 100 years ago". They're both jackasses. Turn it into race when its really about how you play the game.

And then Bradley says that baseball has a race problem because only 9% of the players are black - as if the problem is that baseball sends out the message "black aren't welcome" rather than the reality, which as anyone with a brain knows, is that young blacks have concentrated on basketball every since Michael Jordan.

And what was Bradley's comment a day or two ago? "As long as I'm black, I'm OK."?

Was there a risk that his race was going to change? Was he going to pull an Eddie Murphy and see how whites treat each other when they're alone?

I'll say it again: Milton Bradley is a total ass.

There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home.... ^_^

I think you're missing the point Al....No place like home (against the M's that is). Home against almost any other team in the game would just be more of the same. The Rangers are almost as bad as the Royals and the Mariners...almost.

You're welcome (in advance). ^_^

Felix on Thursday. :)

There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home.... ^_^

I think you're missing the point Al....No place like home (against the M's that is). Home against almost any other team in the game would just be more of the same. The Rangers are almost as bad as the Royals and the Mariners...almost.

You're welcome (in advance). ^_^

Felix on Thursday. :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah...... don't remind me. Let me enjoy it while it lasts (IF it lasts, there's still two more games to be played!)

:g

(snip)

Its the same response that Neon Deion gave to Pudge Fisk when he hit a pop-up and didn't run down the baseline and Fisk told him to move his ass and Deon said, "Slavery ended 100 years ago".  They're both jackasses.  Turn it into race when its really about how you play the game.

At the time Deion was a Yankee and Fisk said something to the effect, "You should be ashamed of yourself. You're wearing that uniform and that's the way you run out a ground ball?" I hadn't known what Deion's response was. Thanks.

What do y'all think of Milton Bradley and his comments about Jeff Kent?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2141482

I read that same article overnight. Thing that amazed me the most is that Bradley was claiming he was told in spring training that he(Bradley) was the team leader! :wacko: I can't imagine they would be so dumb, with his track record.

Lets see, he was kicked out of Cleveland, had that anger issue last year...his first with the Dodgers.

ESPN doesn't seem to go back as far as it used to for stories..but I did see where Bradley was whining during spring training about how he was going to be the center fielder over J.D. Drew (sounds like a real team leader, eh?)

Bradley is 10 years younger than Kent, and has never played more than 141 games in a season(This year has only played 75) Kent is a future Hall of Famer, who has 83 R.B.I.'s this season, next closest on the team is Olmedo Saenz with 55.

So, in other words, if Kent thinks you should have scored on a double, listen to him!

Yes, Bradley is a asshole. He doesn't seem that damn talented, surely they could find someone else to hit .290 and steal 6 bases....It's not like they are really in the pennant race, anyway.

Edited by BERIGAN