Baseball 2005

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jared Wright the WIN, Curt Schilling the LOSS

Sweet!!!!!!!

The least you can do is spell his name right.

Jaret

Baseball certainly is a funny game. One pitcher gets a win by throwing barely 50% of his pitches over the plate. The other one sails along, makes two mistakes, and gets beat. And lets not forget the pathetic home plate umpire, who gave Wright both of his punchouts on pitches that were at least six inches to a foot inside.

Jared Wright the WIN, Curt Schilling the LOSS

Sweet!!!!!!!

The least you can do is spell his name right.

Jaret

Baseball certainly is a funny game. One pitcher gets a win by throwing barely 50% of his pitches over the plate. The other one sails along, makes two mistakes, and gets beat. And lets not forget the pathetic home plate umpire, who gave Wright both of his punchouts on pitches that were at least six inches to a foot inside.

Hey, if it means anything to you, I thought Schilling was by far the superior pitcher. He just ran out of gas, understandable considering he has been recuperating from ankle surgery for some time. Just wanted to bust some Red Sox chops.

Complaining about umpire strike calls??!!. That's not worthy of you, Dan.

As for my spelling, I did realize afterwards that I had Wright's first name wrong, but was just a bit lazy to do an edit. I'll leave it to the perfectionists among us to do that. Speaking of perfectionist, as in perfect game, Randy goes tonight. Good luck ( :D )

Edited by MartyJazz

But those calls were horrible! It was the worst strike zone since Eric Gregg got the boot.

It'll all depend on which Unit shows up tonite - the guy who pitched the opener or the guy who had to be bailed out by his teammates in his second start.

It'll all depend on which Unit shows up tonite - the guy who pitched the opener or the guy who had to be bailed out by his teammates in his second start.

I pray for the latter.

My take on last night is that it was the Sox offense who lost that game. They had many opportunities and a few with bases loaded. Manny needs to wake up!

So toss us some bones for the cable-less throngs who need the fine organissimo play-by-play and color-men to hip us to the real deal of last night's show up in Boston.

This guy actually punked Sheffield?

Read that Francona's toss was expertly choreographed by the ump?

Dan, get on that McGarver sweater vest and camel hair sportcoat, the lurkers await the news! ;)

Well, first of all I have to mention that winning a game Randy Johnson starts (and hitting three homers off him for the first time in 45 starts) is SWEET!

As for Sheffield, the replays looked to me that he didn't actually touch him, but apparently the swipe at the ball clipped his jaw. AMAZING that Sheffield takes a moment to shove the guy before throwing the ball in! What if it had been Damon motoring around and he tried to make it home, and Sheffield's pause to hit the guy let him score?!

Not excusing the fan, he's an idiot, but the sight of Sheffield hitting the guy with the ball in his hand, then going back at him with a clenched fist, was stunning.

As for the umpiring, Marty said my comlaining yesterday was 'beneath me' but I tell you what, when the manager and a coach get run out, and Johnson is stewing on the mound, too, you know the home plate umpire was terrible.

Boy those fans in Boston.  What a bunch of thugs.  Interfering with the play on the field?  Only at Fenway.  You'd never see that kind of thing happen in Yankee Stadium.

TWO WORDS, DAVE:

No, make it three:

JEFFREY FUCKING MEIER

So give me a fucking break. One asshole swipes at the ball, the other asshole pulls a fly out into the stands for a game-breaking home run, in the fucking playoffs.

But no, it happens "only at Fenway." We've never ever seen that at the Stadium. No, never.

96alcs.jpg

Edited by Dan Gould

You'd never see that kind of thing happen in Yankee Stadium.

Gimme a break!

Trust me if given the chance, I think you would see more altercations at Yankee Stadium like last night. Fortunately they have very good security and they don't sell beer in the bleachers. Also the walls for the most part are just high enough to not really give the fans the chance to interfere. I was in the bleachers at last year's ALCS (games 1 & 2) and the venom those fans spewed was shocking.

Dan, I have to weigh in on that last comment: "it would happen all the time"...? That's just complete bullshit. Where's the precedent for that? "Spewing venom" is one thing, but remember that not only did that one asshat swipe at Sheffield, but his neighbor threw some type of icey beverage on him just before he released the ball. I'm not saying that Boston fans are classless, but something should be done about those two fucks.

Edited by doubleM

Geez guys, you ought to know me well enough by now to recognize sarcasm when you see it. Of course I know Jeff Meier, just like I know that Yankee fans, if anything, are probably worse that Red Sox fans almost any day of the week. Guess I should have done as my man Man said and included a smilie.

Here's a good one I heard this morning though. They don't call Red Sox fans Massholes for nothing. :g:g:g

Up over and Harold.

Why don''t the Yankees and Red Sox start their own two team league so they could play each other 162 times a year. Every day would bring new controversy and confrontation for the media and their fans to mull over while the rest of us could ignore it, unless it involved mass fatalities.

I guess it would also allow someone else to win the AL East... ^_^ right now Toronto proudly sits atop whilst the Yanks and Sox pound each other to a bloody pulp.

I didn't see what happened with Sheffield, but fans should not interfere with the play or touch or strike a player, and players should never go into the standsor go after fans. Most of the Bosox agreed with what Sheffield did, FWIW, and I think fans at games need to take a massive 'chill pill'. Too many are getting ripped at games and then acting like numbskulls. I won't take my 12year old son to a nght game because there is so much drunkeness resulting in idiotic behavior. I offer no solutions here, but this is not limited to baseball or even to sports. We have teachers beaten up for giving kids failing grades,etc etc.

Yanks down 8-3 through 7, after Brown gave up 6 runs in two innings (but admittedly pitched well after that) and staring straight at being swept by the O's.

What would worry me more if I were a Yankee fan is the possibility that the O's won't roll over and play dead for the Yanks this year. If you take a look at the last few years, I would bet that, since the Yanks and Red Sox have been essentially even head-to-head, the entire difference between the two teams in the standings comes down to the differing performances against the Orioles. For some reason, the Orioles have played the Sox extremely tough, while they roll over for the Yanks. A hard pill to swallow considering how bad the O's have usually been. So, the Orioles playing the Yankees tough does not augur well for them, I don't think.