Charlie Rouse

mrjazzman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I know that general opinions are mixed about Charles' lone Strata East date (Two Is One), but count me in the "the glass is definitely half full" camp on this one. :tup:tup

Not every cut works equally well, but those that do (and there are several) - are pure magic in my book. :wub: I'd give it a pretty high reccomendation to anyone at least half interested (if only it weren't for the royalties issues with the only(?) CD issue <_< ).

Our own Brandon Burke wrote the review for Allmusic...

Allmusic Review --- by Brandon Burke

f85420cwitd.jpg

By this point, the assumption that listeners would like this record simply because they liked Charlie Rouse's work with the Thelonious Monk Quartet would be presumptuous. The music found herein is much more typical for a Strata East release than it is typical for Rouse. Modern, beat-conscious listeners on the hunt for hip-hop samples will find a number of tasty moments here. Most of them are to be found on the much funkier first side. The tune "Hopscotch," in particular, begins with one of the most sample-ready intros ever committed to disc. Also, and in seemingly direct contrast, if features a busy, complex head, making it sound more like a George Russell piece than one fit for a Strata East record. Otherwise, the album's opener, "Bitchin'," as well as "In a Funky Way," are both expectedly rocking (given the titles and all), with the latter being especially reminiscent of the Meters. Rouse and company take a sharp left turn on the second side, during which they perform the title track (in two sections) and the brooding "In His Presence Searching." "Two Is One" begins with a bassline in 9/8, drums in 6/8, and cello and tenor in 3/4. Needless to say, it sounds little like the funk-inspired tunes on side one. Only when the second section kicks in does the group lay down a groove — albeit in 7/8. The result is funky enough to forget that it's in seven but entirely too odd for even the hippest dancefloor. Rouse's style translates well to this kind of material. His solos are as fluid as ever and even on spiritual numbers like "In His Presence Searching" — during which he makes a rare appearance on bass clarinet — he sounds at home. Given his discography, this record is atypical and probably not for everyone, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I don't have all of Rouse's albums by a long shot, but of the ones I've heard Soul Mates is my favorite by quite a margin. Such a good feeling on that album, both the individual tracks, and the way one track leads to the next with and almost narrative line. Good programming I guess they call it. A friend gave me a tape of it ages ago, and it was actually side two filler to something else I think...anyway, I became kind of obsessed with it, finally locating a CD copy three or four years ago, so I could play it even MORE, and make more tapes for other people, and so on. What a gem of an album.

I don't have all of Rouse's albums by a long shot, but of the ones I've heard Soul Mates is my favorite by quite a margin.  Such a good feeling on that album, both the individual tracks, and the way one track leads to the next with and almost narrative line.  Good programming I guess they call it.  A friend gave me a tape of it ages ago, and it was actually side two filler to something else I think...anyway, I became kind of obsessed with it, finally locating a CD copy three or four years ago, so I could play it even MORE, and make more tapes for other people, and so on.  What a gem of an album.

Hey, I'm the one who gave you that tape! That was a long time ago. Glad you like it. I still pull this one out on occasion. Just a super album. Nothing groundbreaking, but everyone at the top of their game. Sahib Shihab and Walter Davis, Jr.! And the Don Sickler arrangements are part of what makes the thing work so well, along with the excellent programming. On the now famous Uptown label, by the way. They've been great all along, as I'm sure all of us here know.