Latest From Fresh Sound

Dan Gould

I know there's been some discussion about this one, and now the folks in Spain have seen fit to put it out:

FRSCD 382                   

Trumpet Summit - Live At Club Ruby 1968 -

A Memorial Tribute To Fats Navarro, Clifford Brown & Booker Little

Featuring: Kenny Dorham, Woody Shaw, Bill Hardman, Blue Mitchell, Richard Williams, Walter Kelly

So, if you've been wondering what this one is like ...

Spinned a copy of the album last week and enjoyed it. OK it's not an essential date, just a loose gathering of all these trumpet players.

Interesting to concentrate on the similarities and the differences between them!

For those who do not know the album, it's Woody Shaw, Walter Kelly and Blue Mitchell on one session and Bill Hardman, Richard Williams and Kenny Dorham on the other session. With Lonnie Smith (on piano), Peck Morrison and Walter Perkins in the rhythm section.

Bertrand, always assumed it was 'Dr' Lonnie Smith on piano because when the Trip twofer came out, Lonnie Liston Smith was quite a big name and I thought that if this had been him on piano the album would carry his full name!

Not that sure anymore!

Anybody knows better?

According to jazzdisco.org discography of Kenny Dorham, it´s Lonnie Liston Smith:

Kenny Dorham Sextet

Kenny Dorham, Bill Hardman, Richard Williams (tp) Lonnie Liston Smith (p) Peck Morrison (b) Walter Perkins (d)

NYC, circa 1965

Confirmation Trip TLX 5036

Sweet Clifford -

Blues -

* V.A. - A Trumpet Tribute to Fats Navarro, Clifford Brown and Booker Little (Trip TLX 5036)

I thought not. I knew Liston Smith had played with Kirk, which is why I assumed it was him.

I remember the Doctor telling someone (while I was in earshot) that he didn't start out on piano (unlike a lot of other organists). He has of course recorded on piano since.

Bertrand.