Sonny Lester-LRC-Laserlight budget CDs

RDK

I've often avoided buying anything from the budget "Laserlight" label since they always seemed like such cheap (bootlegged or radio-broadcasted) recordings, but here and there I see some that look very interesting. I broke down and bought a live Getz recording from 1969 that's pretty darn good and now I'm wondering if I've been overlooking some other diamonds-in-the-rough.

Laserlight seems to be handling the LRC catalog, but I'm not sure what recordings these are and if they're "official" or not. I know Lester from Solid State, but that catalog is now owned by Cap/EMI. I assume the LRC label came later. Are these "legit" recordings or is something fishy going on? And why so cheap? Should I feel guilty for buying any more of these or are there better sources for the same recordings?

What's the scoop?

The whole Solid State/EMI/LRC thing continues to perplex me.

However - LRC/Laserlight have also released items from the Groove Merchant catalog, and a few of those items are worthy of investigation.

Also, LRC went on an apparently "legit" recording bingette for a quick minute, releasin a McCoy date that's not bad and a Benny Golson date that's even moreso.

One LRC/Laserlight "grey" item that might be of interest to many here is the Slide Hampton thing:

g16521xinzr.jpg

Two different live dates on one CD.

Collectively, you's got yer Martial Solal, yer Hampton Hawes, yer Nathan Davis, yer Daniel Humair, yer Dave Pike, and yer Henri Texier. Very good late-60s "advanced hard bop".

You're always helpful, Chuck. :D

Seriously, though, looking at the track list of this Getz album ("The Song is You," recorded live in 1969), it doesn't look like the material is available anywhere else - though as seems to be the custom with these LRC/Laserlight productions it's been packaged several times over, all rather shoddily. That, of course, doesn't mean that it's legit, just that one can't find it elsewhere...

The LRC Benny Golson side is really worthy of investigation. It's got that disgusting early-digital-recording emptiness to it, but there's some serious playing going on.

Later released on Laserlight as with this cover:

c74853j2202.jpg

That's a terrific improvement over the original L R C "art work":

Edited by MartyJazz

I talked to Cuscuna about this a few years back and I seem to remember that Lester's LRC reissues have gotten him in legal trouble with EMI. It doesn't seem to stop him from continuing releasing stuff on LRC that he no longer has the rights to.

I agree that the Benny Golson date is a good one.

FWIW, Blue Note put out a live 2 CD set (now oop) listed under Dizzy Gillespie's name that LRC still has in print, I think, called "Live at the Village Vanguard". It may be under Chick Corea's name on LRC. It's a pretty nice date. I'm pretty sure the Blue Note set had extra material but it's still worth picking up the edited LRC.

Kevin