Another Idol season

jazzbo

Well, it's another Idol season.

Last night Nadia Turner was booted. My favorites are almost always exiting about this time. . . .

nturner.jpg

nturner2.jpg

The big surprise for me this year was that a contestant did a Billie Holiday song. . . and it was the best song she did in the whole competition.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big surprise for me this year was that a contestant did a Billie Holiday song. . . and it was the best song she did in the whole competition.

Wasn't that the Mickaela girl, who got booted a couple of weeks back? I thought she did very well with it, I was definitely surprised to see her get the axe.

But nothing is more surprising or annoying than the fact that the Russian kid who has the worst voice of any of them, not only hangs in, but doesn't even have to sweat it out in the final three. WTF? It just goes to show that there's an enormous population of teen and pre-teen girls who only care about Tiger Beat looks.

So, the question becomes, why the fuck am I watching?

Well, I'll tell you why I'm watching it: Because my wife likes it a lot. Which initially surprised me a lot the first season, how much she responded to this show. Because she really hasn't cared much at ALL about music. She likes to dance a lot, but that is the one function she sees with music, and she doesn't really understand my obsession.

BUT she has been asking me a lot about music since this show came on and she has begun to really understand more about music and about what it does and means for me.

So this has been a great boon really, this show, for me.

It's never angered me. . . . I guess these days only politicians really get me enraged!

So, the question becomes, why the fuck am I watching?

I'm with you there, Dan. :lol:

Seriously, I've dug the show from the start and I've generally believed the right singer won (or came very close) each season, but last night was tough as Nadia was my favorite by far. Maybe not the best "pure" voice, but so much style, class, beauty, and personality on stage. She looked like a natural. I looked forward to her every week. I'm dumfounded by the eliminations this year - and will continue to be as long as Scott and Anthony remain unscathed.

It was Mikelah who did "Child," and I agree it was an okay performance, but I'm glad that she's gone. I liked her in the very beginning, but grew increasingly tired of her each week.

I'm really stunned and bummed about Nadia though... :(

This seems like the worst crop of singers ever(Where did I leave that comic book guy image?)

I saw a few early shows with my Mom this season, and I remember a big black gal who they said had a sore throat, and I thought she had a bit of Ella in her, I thought, ooh, she'll go far if the public has any taste at all...well they put her in a room with a bunch of other people and canned them all... <_< I have seen a few minutes of recent shows, til I have to leave the room, that tubby, girlfriend beating dude should have been drop kicked awhile ago, he can't sing....

Edited by BERIGAN

To me they seem about the same as the other crop of singers. And to hear a different viewpoint, my wife has told me about ten times the last two months she thinks this final twelve is the best ever! Go figure!

That's what Simon said at the start of the season, too. In fact, I think he claimed that none of the previous finalists match up with the group from this year.

Now I'm going to support Vonzell.

vonzell6.jpg

That was Vonzell with "Let's Hear it for the Boy", right? Yeah, she knocked that one out of the park, but I liked Nadia a lot, too. And the black guy with the long hair, he's pretty strong, too. But a little of the rockers goes a long way.

And just to be clear, I haven't parked my butt in front of the tube religiously. Honest. I'm just waiting for that House dude to come on. Really.

;)

Hooked, absolutely hooked to the show! :wacko: The semis have been the best part of this year's show - some good talents booted out before the final 12. That Mario fella who pulled out of the finals would probably have easily sailed to the the top 3 and since the pull-out, the show has lacked a certain spark, IMO.

Yeah, I think Vonzell is the one to watch. She gets better and better. She nailed "People" a few weeks ago too. NAILED it.

Uh, 'agenda' for this year seems to be boot out all the girls, except for maybe one, before the Top 5. Methinks she'll be out week after next if not next week. :angry::unsure:

I'm not watching it regularly (I usually plan lessons while my wife watches "Idol"), but I have caught a bit of it this year. I think the "agenda" this year is to do away with the blacks and keep the weedy white boys and girls. The blond kid with the glasses and the traich scar should've gone a long time ago, but he keeps coming back. The guy who looks like a serial killer (the fat guy with the crew cut) needs to go too. And those weak "rockers." They both look like they failed their auditions with Three Dog Night in 1971...

The strongest candidates that I've seen have all been black, and they keep getting bumped (I liked Nadia myself, what I saw of her). I think this has to do with the fact that the last two winners have been black (Fantasia and Ruben) and the teeny-boppers who vote feel that two black winners to one white winner is somehow "unfair." From what I keep hearing in the faculty breakroom at school, the favorite is that blonde chick who sings the country songs. She's the one I predict will win.

Edited by Alexander

• 2 weeks later...

American Idol catagories of singers:

1. The "Kelly Clarkson"-aw shucks I'm a yokel!

2. The "Whitney Houston"-you know which ones these are.

3. The "Clay Aiken"-guys who sing Celine Dion songs willingly.

4. The "Rocker"-2 this season but originated on season one by that chick.

5. The "Velvet Teddybear"-coming out of the Luther mold. Reuben counts but

this year we have the white overweight guy with the velvet vox.

These are your 5 Idol catagories. Which catagory will win this year? Does it matter?

But I love seeing Paula Abdul crying and caring that "The Rocker" didn't make it. This show has wonderful entertainment value as schtick.

Vonzell is still there. Whew!

I admit that I was somewhat surprised by last night's verdict. While the skinny blond kid with the weak voice really *deserves* to get bounced, I knew he wouldn't. He's got too many teenaged girls voting for him. I thought the rocker had a similar fan base that was protecting him, so I predicted that Vonzell would go. But I also thought that the rocker's little "Eddy Vedder" impression from Tuesday night *was* a little risky for that audience, so I can't say I'm TOO surprised. I still predict that the final three will all be white and that the blonde chick will win in the end.