Peck Kelly

Brownian Motion

That's a two LP put out by the IAJRC (International Association of Jazz Collectors) on an ARCADIA label back around 1990 or so. made origiinally in 1951 I believe. (?) It was redone in Canada somewhere along about 1990 --again my guess.and originally was supposed to have come with a 12 page bookklet, which I do not have. On the cover is a box from IAJR inviting people to write for information to THE SECRETARY, 90 PRINCE GEORGE DRIVE, ISLINGTON, ONTARIO, CANADA, M9B 2X8.

As IAJRC is still very much in business, you might very well write to them to see what the availability is, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't on their current list of CD's. Who knows what their future plans for it are?

I haven't heard it in a while but as I remember it, it does have the sound of a home recording about it. I remember reading a review at the time stating that based on this record, the critic didn't know what all Kelly's reputation was about. My memory of it is that it was OK but it was done late in Kelly's life and he still seemed competent but not overwhelming.

I'll listen to it again, however, now that you made me find it. I suggest you get in touch with IAJRC and see what they have in store and then get back to me if things look bleak there. I just got a CD burner but I haven't learned how to use it to maximum advantage. Keep in touch tho. :tup

The Commodore album is from a broadcast and has pretty good sound quality. It was first issued as a 2-LP set in the early 1980's, and later included on the Mosaic set. Kelley's playing is quite extraordinary, somewhere between Art Tatum and Lennie Tristano if you can imagine that. Unfortunately the music is hampered by a very mundane clarinet player (who happens to be the leader of the session), a Benny Goodman wannabe.

The Arcadia album, not actually issued by the IAJRC but by a prominent member of the organization, Dick Raichelson, on his own label, is marred by poor sound quality. Some of the tracks were made on a defective tape recorder which did not erase what was previously on the tape, so there is interference. Still, it is worth checking out since there is so little Kelley in existence.

Years ago I read an article about Kelley in Down Beat in which a broadcast of "Flying Home" from 1948, I think, was mentioned and praised. That track has yet to surface, to my knowledge.

I love the material on Commodore. . . . Have never heard the Arcadia; only lps of theirs I've ever seen is the Jimmy's Joys . . . (another Texas band).

I wish there were more Peck Kelly; he seemed an amazing musician that I'd love to hear more of! Would be great to have some "Bad Boys" recordings!

peck4.jpg