Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

18h  · 
In 2022 I took a photo of Billy Harper in front of his childhood home in Houston, TX (the most important one). It was that night I felt I need to get him home to Houston to perform his own music with his own band under his own name. Many personal reasons why it would make sense, but it was not a rational contemplation followed by a decision. It was just one of those lightning bolts that Universe strikes your brain with. And we never know why.
Of course, I do know what passed between those Houston days and the present time. And if you knew what I know, you'd know how and why this is so very special. Talking about the ”inside scoop” about Third Ward, Little Man, Truxillo, Eldorado, E.E. Worthing, Vernell, UNT, and all the dramatic twists that unfolded up till this moment.
Honestly, I have rarely had to work SO hard on something as I did on this Texas homecoming for BHQ. But I have rarely felt SO passionate and determined to make a dream of mine into reality. The lightning bolt really left a mark 😀
And I'm so sorry to all my loves (you know who you are) for being MIA (I know I have a bunch of missed emails/ texts), but putting this tour together took every second of my day.
And to the generous folks who helped me / us - I love y'all and I can't thank you enough!! You have zero skin in the game here, and I know the only thing guiding you is sincere love for Billy Harper and his music... You are all deserving of a big long loud standing ovation: Bob Morgan, Rich Scheinin, David Dove, Gerri Seay, Barbara Rivetta Hendrix, Blanche McDaniel Valentine...
Thank you for seeing how important it is to get Billy ”home” with his group and for doing so much to help make it happen, and engaging great people ”on the ground” I never even met before, but who rolled up their sleeves and went above and beyond to make this happen. Talking about Eddy Hobizal, Elias Haslanger, David Detweiler, Chris Knight, Jesse McBride, Shelley Carroll... Fantastic people making great music happen!
And the band, omg the band - no words suffice. I am so friggin lucky I get to represent these five music masters Francesca, Aaron, Freddie, Dezron and Billy who happen to also be the most terrific human beings.
Of course, there is ginormous credit that goes to all the venues, but they each warrant a separate post further down the line.
I just felt I had to give thanks and acknowledge all these heroes who worked so hard to make my dream of Billy's ”homecoming” a reality. And what I really mean when I say ”Billy Harper”, is the ”Billy Harper Quintet”, of course. Don't tell anyone I said this, but.. it's not the real (BH) deal without them. The cikela does NOT come out for just anyone. 🖐🏼

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Billy Harper alert! Three concerts upcoming in June, in Houston and Austin.

June 14, 2024: Billy Harper Quintet, Eldorado Ballroom, Houston

June 15, 2024: Billy Harper Quintet, Monk's Jazz Club, Austin

June 16, 2024: Billy Harper Quintet, Stateside Theater, Austin

Epistrophy Arts & The State Theatre present

BILLY HARPER QUINTET

The State Theatre
Sunday, June 16, 2024

Doors: 6pm
Show: 7pm

In his early recordings and performances with leaders such as Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Max Roach, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, Randy Weston and Gil Evans, during the 60s and 70s, Billy Harper already had a massive sound on the tenor saxophone, combining John Coltrane’s spiraling intensity with a bluesy brawn that pointed back to his Texas origins.

Harper’s authority has only grown with age: a half-century on, he stands as one of the most commanding horn men on the planet, a pillar of stirring post-bop jazz whose robust back catalog seems long overdue for rediscovery.

For half a century he has been performing his original music with the renowned Billy Harper Quintet all over the globe, and recording over a dozen albums as a leader and prolific composer.

After a pandemic induced hiatus, the Quintet sprung back into action, starting 2023 off with a series of #CapraBlackIsBack performances, marking a year long celebration of Billy Harper's 80th birthday, coinciding with the 50th anniversary of the group's official inception and their historic debut album Capra Black, the impact of which still lingers among jazz listeners worldwide.

Francesca Tanksley has been the pianist in this group for more than 40 years – a clear attestation of the wide ranging concensus that her extraordinary musicality cannot be matched nor replaced when it comes to Billy Harper’s opus.

Renowned master drummer Aaron Scott, a longtime member of McCoy Tyner’s band, has also been in the group for decades and is a rare find among jazz drummers who can meet and surpass the challenge of doing Harper’s music justice.

Freddie Hendrix, one of the most in-demand jazz trumpeters of today, coveted for his uniquely soulful and exciting improvisations is also a longstanding member.

Finally, a newer but nevertheless perfectly matched addition to the group is the award-winning bassist Dezron Douglas whose artistry on the strings brings Harper’s compositions to a whole new level.

Thanks for the head's up!

Posted (edited)

June 14, 2024: Billy Harper Quintet, Eldorado Ballroom, Houston

June 15, 2024: Jugalbandi of Hindustani Flute By Praveen Godkindi and Carnatic Violin By Ambi Subramaniam - son of L Subramaniam -Yashwant Vaishnav (Disciple of PT Yogesh Samsi) On Tabla, Sowmi Narayanan on Ghatam, Akshay Anthapadmanabhan on Mridamgam, Durga Bari Auditorium, Houston

Billy Harper Quintet, Steve's Wine Bar, Denton

June 16, 2024: Billy Harper Quintet, Stateside Theater, Austin

June 18, 2024: Peggy Stern, Monk's Jazz Club, Austin

June 21, 2024: Buddy Guy, Shreveport Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport, Lousiana

June 22, 2024: Buddy Guy, Oaklawn Event Center, Hot Springs, Arkansas

June 29, 2024: Mokoomba, Thomas Mapfumo, African Vibration Festival, District 121, McKinney

July 3, 2024: Mokoomba, Antone's, Austin

July 18, 2024: John Primer, Antone's, Austin

August 24, 2024: Bobby Rush, Arlington Music Hall

September 14, 2024: Abhishek Borkar (Sarod) and Yashwant Vaishnav (Tabla), Allen (?)

September 20, 2024: Aba Diop Trio, Cullen Theater, Houston

September 21, 2024: Mandolin Rajesh (mandolin) and Rajhesh Vaidya (veena), Frisco

September 28, 2024: Abhishek Borkar (Sarod), Yashwant Vaishnav (tabla), Cullen Hall, Unverisy of Saint Thomas, Houston

October 4, 2024: Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Cullen Theater, Houston

Bombino, Lowdown, Tulsa

October 6, 2024: Delvon  Lamarr Organ Trio, Antone's, Austin

October 11, 2024: Branford Marsalis, Bates Recital Hall, Austin

October 13, 2024: Branford Marsalis, UTD

October 17, 2024: Buena Vista Social Orchestra, Majestic Theater, Dallas

October 19, 2024: Manas Kumar (violin), S. Akash (flue), Amit Kavthekar (tabla), Allen (?)

October 22, 2024: Joel Frahm Trio, JazzTX, San Antonio

November 16, 2024: Matthew Whitaker, Eisemann Center, Richardson

December 6, 2024: Shemekia Copeland, Sam's Burger Joint, San Antonio

Terri Lynne Carrington's New Standards, Cullen Theater, Houston

December 7, 2024: Shemekia Copeland, Kessler Theater, Dallas

January 25, 2025: Lakecia Benjamin, Cullent Theater, Houston

February 14, 2025: Immanuel Wilkins Quartet, Zika Hall, Houston

March 1, 2025: Vijay Iyer Trio, Cullen Theater, Houston

March 15, 2025: Fort Worth African American Roots Music Festival

March 18, 2025: Anoushka Shankar, Eisemann Center, Richardson

March 27-30, 2025: Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, Tennessee

March 28, 2025: Jason Moran's Duke Ellington Project, Cullen Theater, Houston

April 11, 2025: Brad Mehldau Trio with Christian McBride, Cullen Theater, Houston

April 12, 2025: Hiromi's SonicWonder, UTD

April 24-27, May 1-4, 2025: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

Edited by kh1958

• 2 weeks later...

UNT Jazz Community Event - Billy Harper Live at Steve's!

Date: Sat, Jun 15, 2024 
Time 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM 

BillyHarperQuintet.png

In partnership with UNT Jazz Community Events, Steve's Wine Bar Presents

The Billy Harper Quintet

In 1964, Harper was the first Black student accepted into the prestigious One O’Clock Lab Band. Billy Harper’s experience during integration paved a pathway for Black students at UNT, which is now a Minority-Serving Institution.

Billy has performed with the likes of Gil Evans, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Lee Morgan, The Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra and many others solidifying him as the Jazz great he is today. “Billy is a griot, a storyteller,” said T.K. Blue, the saxophonist and flutist who performed with Harper for 30 years in bands led by the pianist Randy Weston. “I can hear the history of where he comes from in that music. It’s regal. I hear Africa. I hear Texas. I hear the blues.”, “...At 82, he is still a force in the community and turns heads with his sound and compositions.” The New York Times

BillyHarper.png