question for bev or anyone else in the UK...

Guest donald petersen

There's been mention of this on AAJ. The original word was that there would be another batch May/June. No word though from Universal UK, it's gone ominously quiet. The hope is that if a Giles Peterson Vol 3 comes out in Oct/Nov there will be another batch. I hope Universal UK haven't suddenly gone cold over all of this ( ;) ).

Time to stock up on 'Batch 1' methinks (I still need to get 'Troppo' and the d'Silva).

By the way there's also Mike Westbrook's 'Celebration' in the original batch of 'Repressed'.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5.john taylor-pause and think again (still looking for this one)

I'm speculating here, but...

This one is on FMR, a label I'd assumed was legitimate. It certainly puts out a lot of both new and re-issued UK material.

It has just put out Surman's 'Morning Glory'. However, according to a post on AAJ, Surman is unhappy about this and says there will be a proper release later in the year.

I'm not sure where that puts FMR.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dutton Vocalions are now in the shops and I was able to pick up one so far ( ;) ) - a good one though. The Paul Gonsalves 'Humming Bird' has Gonsalves featured with a mid-sized modern/mainstream UK band with some fine work from the tenor player and prominence also to a young Kenny Wheeler. Re-mastering is well up to standard and the quality of the CD sleeve is well up to scratch.

There still seems to be a hold-up with the Mike Westbrook 'Love Songs' - now word either of when or if it will actually be issued. Looks like the Westbrook approval stages might be throwing a wobbly.

Guest akanalog

freakin downtown music gallery said they are on the way but not there yet.

and whenever i call i get that one guy-the black dude-who never knows what is going on and tells me he hasn't heard anything about them and doesn't know what i am talking about. but since i got an email from them saying they are on the way, i assume they are. however when i asked when specifically i got another email saying it would be in the newsletter instead of just answering my question. assholes.

what's up with the chitinous ensemble one? what is it all about?

The 'Chitinous Ensemble' CD is most definitely out. My local dealer had 6 copies of this earlier last week but they flew out of the door literally on day 1. A lot of pent-up demand for this title and the Garricks, in particular, out there.

Of the initial batch the only ones he had in stock were the Gonsalves and the Henry Lowther.

Once things settle down you should start seeing copies of this one Stateside (hopefully the Bards will stock up). The only one I have heard negative comments about is the Terry Durham 'Crystal Telephone' - on AAJ. Apparently there's not a lot of jazz content even though Evan Parker is on it.

I have a copy of the latest Dutton Vocalion catalogue and there's a mouth-watering 2 pages featuring all of the new releases.

Edited by sidewinder

Anyone care to comment specifically on Garrick's 'Black Marigolds' disc?  I see it contains some "poetry" as well as "celeste" and "harpsichord".  Three words that sit somewhere beyond my tolerance.

I actually have a vinyl of this one and like it a lot. The poetry pieces were I believe originally performed at the 'Jazz and Poetry in Concert' performances which Garrick and co. supported in England back in the 1960s and they feature Harriott, Carr and co. providing instrumental backing to the spoken word. I actually quite like these, although I can appreciate the objections to this combination. Wonderful tortured solo by Harriott behind one of the poetry sections. The 'meat' of the album though are the instrumental tracks - the wonderful 'Ursula' and the evocative 'Webster's Mood'. Wonderful stuff, I recommend it, don't be too put off by the poetry and the harpsichord.

Strong recommendation also for the Henry Lowther 'Childs Song'. A classic - I see the Bards are now stocking it.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

:tup on Black Marigolds... great band, and the poetry is pretty interesting in a British modernist-surrealist sort of way... I think the Bards didn't have the other Garrick, because this is the only one I got.

The Skidmore is ok, not as good as 'TCB' on Phillips (2nd LP, w/ Surman and Osborne) but solid.

Chitinous I'm getting into - had forgotten that it was Buckmaster behind it; he was in the Third Ear Band as well as arranging a lot of pop records I never bothered to listen to. Sort of like a cross between Third Ear, Birtwistle and 70s Miles - in other words, pretty weird!

Can anyone tell me about these two Duttons:

CDLK 4284 Don Rendell Playtime & singles compilation

CDLK 4281 Shake Keane with The Keating Sound & Dig It!

The Rendell is listed among the 11 other discussed reissues on the scan attached to an above post, but listed separatley on the Dutton site.

The Keane is not commented anywhere.

I have the Keane 'Dig It' on an original LP. It's very MOR, typical late 60s fare with sprinklings of harpsichords, Austin Powers like touches and tune selection. Don't expect great jazz - but it's a nice period piece. Arrangements are by 'Ivor Raymonde', who apparently arranged quite a few of these MOR sessions for Decca Phase 2. If you do a search on AAJ you will see that we have already been discussing the life and times of Ivor ( :cool: ).

To my mind the guitar player who is quite noticeable on 'Chain of Fools' sounds suspiciously like a young Johnny McLaughlin.

Worth a punt, if you are into Shake ! Harriott/Keane Quintet it aint though..

The Don Rendell 'Playtime' comes from the late 50s I believe and has Ronnie Ross on it so I suspect it should be a must-buy on the basis of these two artists alone. I may take a punt on this one myself. Maybe Tooter might have a few thoughts on the music therein?

It's from 1958 and it's in the British Cool vein. Maybe a bit pedestrian at times and without obvious risks in the arrangements. Quite enjoyable though and with some very nice solo spots. It is a solid date that certainly has more than a fair share of the good shtuffe.

Edited by couw