I Am Three

medjuck

What a stupid post. Who comes up with this crap?

"In other words I am three" is for jazz fans, the equivalent to "Call me Ishmael" - it's the opening to Mingus's book Beneath The Underdog.

Now, the relevance to this album is that it apparently features three groups: Mingus Dynasty, the Mingus Big Band, and the Mingus Orchestra.

Mike

590585.jpg

Mingus Big Band/Charles Mingus Orchestra/Mingus DynastyI Am Three (Sunnyside 3029) June 7

— Conrad Herwig, Craig Handy, Donald Edwards, Earl McIntyre, George Colligan, Jack Wilkins, Jeremy Pelt, Abraham Burton, John Hicks, Kenny Rampton, Ku-Umba Frank Lacy, Alex Foster, Michael Rabinowitz, Miguel Zenon, Orrin Evans, Randy Brecker, Ronnie Cuber, Scott Robinson , Seamus Blake, Wayne Escoffery, Charles Mingus, Boris Kozlov, Johnathan Blake, Jaleel Shaw, Jack Walrath, Walter White, Douglas Yates, Bobby Routch

Sounded good on my first listen!

590585.jpg

Mingus Big Band/Charles Mingus Orchestra/Mingus DynastyI Am Three (Sunnyside 3029) June 7

—  Conrad Herwig, Craig Handy, Donald Edwards, Earl McIntyre, George Colligan, Jack Wilkins, Jeremy Pelt, Abraham Burton, John Hicks, Kenny Rampton, Ku-Umba Frank Lacy, Alex Foster, Michael Rabinowitz, Miguel Zenon, Orrin Evans, Randy Brecker, Ronnie Cuber, Scott Robinson , Seamus Blake, Wayne Escoffery, Charles Mingus, Boris Kozlov, Johnathan Blake, Jaleel Shaw, Jack Walrath, Walter White, Douglas Yates, Bobby Routch

Sounded good on my first listen!

So is Mingus on it? Or is he just listed above as a composer? Also is this Sue's label?

No and no. These are the various ghost bands (all sanctioned and coordinated by Sue). Sunnyside is nothing to do with Sue Mingus. It's been around since the early 1980s.

Mike

Well, looking closer, I see that the CD is produced by Sue Mingus, has liner notes by Sue Mingus, and is issued on the "Sue Mingus Music" label and licensed to Sunnyside and to Universal Music France.

The pieces were recorded in the Fall of 2004. Three of the arrangements are by John Stubblefield. Although he was too sick to play on the album, he was able to get out of the hospital in order to conduct.

This kind of confusion does make life difficult for discographers - some things have as many as FIVE label names on them! But just to be clear, Sunnyside is NOT owned by Sue Mingus (like Revenge was/is).

Here is an article that reports that Sue planned to issue "I Am Three" on her own label, not Revenge but a new one named 'Sue City' - but apparently that isn't the way things worked out.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20...1w21mingus.html

I'm not sure exactly what the relationship is between Sunnyside and Universal/Verve - the first I noticed this link was when Sunnyside issued a Kenny Barron album that originally came out on Verve/France but seemed to have been turned down by Verve/USA. Alan's site lists Part II of that recording from Bradley's as an upcoming Sunnyside CD issue.

Mike

Mike,

Yes, it does get confusing!

I think that Sunnyside is acting as the distributor for Sue Mingus Music. I believe that they've done the same for same other labels, including Dave Holland's new Dare2 label.

Sunnyside has also issued quite a bit of music from Universal France. (Probably more than Verve has lately!) They say "licensed from Universal Music SAS France."

In here notes on the "I Am Three" CD, Sue mentions plans to release Live at Ronnie Scott's Rep. band recording and also the long-pending Monterey/UCLA 1965 recording and mentions a Cornell concert with Eric Dolphy.

Edited by alankin

Sunnyside is runned by a French guy, François Zalacain, who's been living in New York since the early 80s, I believe. He's a friend of Daniel Richard who's in charge of Universal Jazz France. There are several albums which have been released in Europe under the Verve/EmArcy jazz labels and on Sunnyside in the US. That was the case of Chris Potter's "Live at the Village Vanguard" also, which was recorded for French Universal after Potter was dropped... by US Universal. It will be more and more the case since Richard is a true jazz nut and fights to keep jazz produced and reissued by Universal. He is also the one responsible for Universal distributing the Mosaic box from the Universal vaults (Eldridge, Farlow, Jazztet, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...