Which version of "Forest Flower" do you like best?

Guy Berger

Which version of "Forest Flower" do you like best?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Haven't heard the 1964 version, but had to include it for completeness. Anyway, I have to go with 1968 because it has such a strong groove and Keith gets into that gospel thing during "Sunset". Charles plays best on the 1963 version, but I really don't like how the Hamilton group approaches the tune.

Guy

No vote, but I do like the Hamilton group's interpretation. Kinda "West Coasty" in its vibe (in a good way), which works for the sunny, "naive" quality of both sections of the piece. Coming out of a Chico group, it kinda "rings true" in that way. It's got that virginal quality to it that works for me, and which worked for Lloyd as well, at least for a little while.

My least favorite would be the hit version. Nothing wrong with it per se, but...

No vote, but I do like the Hamilton group's interpretation. Kinda "West Coasty" in its vibe (in a good way), which works for the sunny, "naive" quality of both sections of the piece. Coming out of a Chico group, it kinda "rings true" in that way. It's got that virginal quality to it that works for me, and which worked for Lloyd as well, at least for a little while.

I know what you're getting at... for some reason it rubs me the wrong way, a little too "cute" if you know what I mean. Though obviously this has more to do with my prejudices as a listener than anything wrong with the music itself.

Guy

I know what you're getting at... for some reason it rubs me the wrong way, a little too "cute" if you know what I mean.  Though obviously this has more to do with my prejudices as a listener than anything wrong with the music itself.

Guy

Well, yeah, there's always going to be, to one degree or another, a "cute" (a word/concept I absolutely abhor in it's "pure" sense, btw) factor to anything a Chico Hamilton group does. That's what makes Chico Chico, but ususally (well, often enough) he perspectifies it in a way that it's not just cute.

But I know what you're getting at as well.

I didn't include it because in the poll because it wasn't recorded in the 60s, but Lloyd's recording of this tune on Voice in the Night (late 90s) is really good -- I think it captures the good aspects of the original Chico version without the "cuteness" of the original. And unlike the late 60s versions, there isn't the "uninvolvement" that Jack W was talking about. No Keith/Ron/Jack locking into a tight groove though...

Guy

• 4 weeks later...

The Hamilton version, hands down.

Lloyd seems uninvolved on the other versions, to these ears.

I'm listening to a bootleg of this group from Oslo in the spring of 1966 -- Charles's playing on this tune (and others) is phenomenal. Focused, aggressive. I wonder why it was so lackluster on the "famous" version?

Guy

• 1 year later...