HEY PAUL MCKEE -

JSngry

So I'm driving to work, turn on KNTU, and I hear this vocalist with a big band. My first reaction is Johnny Hartman, but a few seconds into it, I glom that it's Kevin Mahogany. The tune is a bossa apparently entitled "Three Little Words" (not the standard, btw), and it's a gorgeous tune. The big band arrangement is not to my usual stylistic liking, but this chart is recorded well, and whoever the drummer is is stealthly setting up a pocket that makes everything lay just right. Great tune, great groove, I'm digging it. There's a tenor solo that is about what I'd expect, and then there's this trombone player who jumps in and SOARS, plays in the style of the vibe, but with an additional quality that borders on freakin' majesterial. Like I said, this type of thing is not my usual turn-on, but I can feel the magic happening, and magic transcends "styles", if you know what I mean. Mahogany comes back in and takes it out (a whole 'nother full chorus would've worked better for me, but c'est la vie...), and I'm wondering who the hell THIS was that could take a style that I usually go out of my way to ignore and make it sound so damn GOOD?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Well, I don't have to tell you who it was, but the DJ told me, so I guess it's only fair that I tell most everybody else - it was Frank Mantooth, the album was Miracle, and the trambone solo was....

Yeah, YOU. :g

Nicely played, sir, NICELY played A BIG :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Now, who was that drummer, and why can't all big bands of this ilk have one like him/her?

And that tune! Wondermous! I hope you bring it into sessions and shit. It's that good, I think.

Majesterial, dude, majesterial is what you was. Kudos!

BTW, that Mantooth CD is a really good one overall.

Paul's a great player. He's a Fontana man, and believe me, for a 'bone player that's a VERY hard style to master. Only the best dare to go down that path.

Paul has done some great work with big bands, for example, the Woody Herman Orchestra, before and after Woody's death. Also with the Jim Widner midwestern big band where Paul is often featured.

And Paul has a nice CD under his own name - darned if I can remember the title and label off the top of my head.

Edited by John Tapscott

Thanks for the kind words fellas.  :)

That was the last project I did with Frank before he passed. Glad it's getting same airplay.

Jim, I can't remember who the drummer was but I'll find out. Thanks for your post! :g

Yeah great, now get your ass back to the grill, stick a chicken on a can of Coke and start cookin'.

;)