Jimmy Rowles

jazzbo

I think I would rather listen to Jimmy Rowles that just about any other poianist with the exception of Bill Evans.

His style is all his own, with maybe a bit of Monk thrown in. I love the rumbling chords and the open spaces.

And on top of that Jimmy was a helluva funny guy.

• 3 years later...

Well, I've been listening to those Verve Billie Holiday sessions with Sweets and Brute and Jimmy Rowles, and it is just making me believe that Jimmy is one of my very favorite pianists.

We talk about him here a little but there isn't a lot of blather about him, which may be a shame. I notice over the last few years how he's on some of the sessions of artists that I reach out for more than others. And it boils down to his being such a wonderful accompanist. But he's so much more than that. Still he's at the keys for my favorite Verve Holiday, my favorite McRae, maybe even my favorite Getz and Zoot. That says a LOT to me.

I need to explore his work as a leader more because the little that I have is great! Rowles has that elegant touch and technique to burn, but like Earl Hines. . . it's always JAZZ. He's just jazz through and through. And I sort of view him as I do Mobley: he's so hip, he's always just giving the thought out cool thing that is just right. A thinker, a swinger, and a painter.

Anyone else a big fan?

I'm with you all the way on that one, brother. They didn't grow on trees like him even in his day, and no one comes close to him nowadays. Not just his comping and his tune knowledge, which he was known for. His time was phenomenal, and his solos were witty as hell and with a nice touch. A musician with a capital M. I even dig his singing.

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Rowles is one of the reasons I love this set:

ms019.jpg

Two Jimmy Rowles sessions are included:

(F) Jimmy Rowles, piano; Red Mitchell, bass; Art Mardigan, drums.

Recorded in Los Angeles, c. September 1954

Engineer: John Neal

Originally issued on RARE - BUT WELL DONE (Liberty LRP 3003)

(G) Jimmy Rowles, piano; Ben Tucker, bass; Mel Lewis, drums.

Recorded at the Radio Annex Studio in Los Angeles on December 11, 1956

Originally issued on PIANISTS GALORE! (Pacific Jazz JWC 506)

NOTE: This selection was recorded at the end of a Bill Perkins-Art Pepper session, which is available on Mosaic Select: Art Pepper (MS-015).