2005 NBA Championship

Who's Gonna Win The Championship  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Partial quote from SEK

In my opinion, anyone who would find the prospect of this series "boring" is not a true aficianado of the game, is very provincial, and/or has attention deficit disorder. :cool:  ;)

All of the above.

After "careful" consideration I'm for Detroit since my son's wife is originally from there.

Average total score per game will probably be 150 points. :P  :crazy:  :wacko:

On the other hand, I just read that Tony Parker is dating Eva Longoria.

Maybe I'll switch to the Spurs. :w

I wouldn't project the Baron record over the whole season, after all we don't expect Denver to win 66 games next year...  But I think as it stands the team is good enough to probably win 42-50 games, good enough to contend for a 6-8 playoff spot.

Oh, did you have to be so damned realistic about it? <_<

:lol:

Of the three players you mention, I think Fisher is the most expendible. He was really erratic this year. Foyle is a decent defensive role player,

Who's being paid $6/year! :) If the W's gave him away for nothing they'd be better off.

and I like Murph for a lot of reasons.

Not a bad player, but I'm not so psyched about a 3-pt shooting power forward who has no inside game and can't play defense. He's overpaid too, not as badly as Foyle though.

Fisher is alright, like these other two he's overpaid. He's a TERRIBLE point guard, but ever since Baron came in and he became the backup shooting guard he's played better.

Guy

Lets see, how many HEAT players got bruised (beat-up) by the Pistons?

Who's next :blush:

I agree -- the Pistons probably wouldn't have won the Heat series without Wade's injury. If they can induce a Duncan injury, they might have a decent chance of winning another title.

Guy

:excited: Well, the Pistons need to slow down Parker and the G man too.

I agree -- the Pistons probably wouldn't have won the Heat series without Wade's injury. If they can induce a Duncan injury, they might have a decent chance of winning another title.

Guy

Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo, waa, waaaaa,

You guys need to quit crying about injuries, it happens to every team in every sport; not just your team that lost. Remember Rip had a nagging injury the first four games. Watch ESPN sometimes, the classic NBA games and you will see teams winning WITH injured important players. so just stop the "if so and so wasn't hurt, we woulda won. All that woulda, shoulda, coulda stuff is very very OLD.

peace

:bwallace: :bwallace2: :cool:

Guy

You guys need to quit crying about injuries, it happens to every team in every sport; not just your team that lost. Remember Rip had a nagging injury the first four games. Watch ESPN sometimes, the classic NBA games and you will see teams winning WITH injured important players. so just stop the "if so and so wasn't hurt, we woulda won. All that woulda, shoulda, coulda stuff is very very OLD.

Bruce,

I'm not complaining -- just stating the facts.

Guy

Guy

Bruce,

I'm not complaining -- just stating the facts.

Guy

Not sure I agree here, Guy. You are normally a paragon of rationality, and perhaps you are using it here as well, but it is difficult to make such a claim as this. I suspect the Pistons would have defeated the Heat even with a fully healthy Wade. Of course we will never know; and history will never care.

Not sure I agree here, Guy.  You are normally a paragon of rationality, and perhaps you are using it here as well, but it is difficult to make such a claim as this.  I suspect the Pistons would have defeated the Heat even with a fully healthy Wade.  Of course we will never know; and history will never care.

With a healthy Wade, the Heat led the series 3-2. After he got injured, they got blown out in game 6 and barely lost game 7. With him healthy, the probability that they would have won one of those two is pretty high. Again, not taking away anything from the Pistons' victory in the last round -- just stating a fact.

Guy

Not sure I agree here, Guy.  You are normally a paragon of rationality, and perhaps you are using it here as well, but it is difficult to make such a claim as this.  I suspect the Pistons would have defeated the Heat even with a fully healthy Wade.  Of course we will never know; and history will never care.

With a healthy Wade, the Heat led the series 3-2. After he got injured, they got blown out in game 6 and barely lost game 7. With him healthy, the probability that they would have won one of those two is pretty high. Again, not taking away anything from the Pistons' victory in the last round -- just stating a fact.

Guy

Guy, understand that I am not picking on you personally, but you keep displaying all the classic signs of denial. The Heat got their butts kicked by the Defending Champions. What's so bad. Like I keep stating, all teams have injuries, that is a part of sports, now that is a fact. Your speculation that the Heat would have won if Wade were healthy is not a fact but a mere opinion based on a personal want. The real point here is that it is now the Pistons vs. the Spurs. It is time to move on. Incidentally the Pistons got their butts kicked tonight.

Peace Guy,

Bruce :)

Guy, understand that I am not picking on you personally, but you keep displaying all the classic signs of denial.  The Heat got their butts kicked by the Defending Champions.

A series that went to 7 games, with the last game being decided by 4 or 5 pts and Wade being hobbled by an injury.

What's so bad.  Like I keep stating, all teams have injuries, that is a part of sports, now that is a fact.  Your speculation that the Heat would have won if Wade were healthy is not a fact but a mere opinion based on a personal want.

No.

Guy

HEAT vs PISTONS.

Last 3 minutes of game 7 tied!

Shaq misses 1 free throw.

Damian Jones misses 1 free throw.

Wade has a turn-over.

Eddie Jones has a turn-over.

(not in exact order)

The HEAT lose. (they all messed up)

(of course, NO CALL on the over the top tip-in offensive rebound by the Pistons)

Basketball is a rough sport. (that's why Shaq is considered an asset)

On with the next the FINALS.

Duncan took a kick to the groin the last series, but he's still ticking.

If PARKER, DUNCAN and the G man stand tall, the Spurs look pretty good.

Dear Diary, Game 1 Stunk

Just when I thought I was already excited for the 2005 NBA Finals, I received the following e-mail from Memphis reader Brad Baker:

"If the Pistons lose, I think that Rasheed Wallace should be forced to hand over his belt to Tim Duncan while doing the whole 'I hate that I lost, but I respect you' handshake like Hogan at Wrestlemania 6. Then he could raise Duncan's hand in victory and be carried from the court in a miniature wrestling ring."

Needless to say, I'm now rooting for the Spurs. If the Pistons lose, Rasheed has to hand over the belt to Duncan. This needs to happen. It has to happen. And the scenario had me so fired up, I even kept a running diary of Game 1 last night:

9:44 – "I look at myself as a leader who happens to coach basketball. I want you armed for life. I want you to develop as a player. I want you to develop as a student. And I want you to develop as a human being."

(In the meantime, American Express is going to write me a gigantic check while you guys get a free scholarship, free sneakers, a free room and that's it. But let me know if you need any advice or anything, I'm always here for you.)

10:10 – Best player in the first half so far: Chauncey Billups. I remember watching him on the Celtics as a rookie and thinking, "There's no way he'll ever figure out how to run a team." Unfortunately, Rick Pitino came to the same conclusion and traded him. Now he's the reigning NBA Finals MVP and one of the best money guards in the league. The lesson, as always: There's a reason Rick Pitino and I aren't running NBA teams.

10:17 – They just showed a "Dancing With the Stars" promo, which reminds me: Start TiVo-ing this show, if only for the Evander Holyfield parts. Did you ever have a quiet family member who got drunk at a wedding and decided to show off his moves on the dance floor and wasn't half-bad – except that he sported a crazy half-smile/half-intensity look the entire time, and you weren't quite sure if someone was going to be groped inappropriately? That's what we're getting with Evander every week.

10:21 – All right, here's my task for ESPN colleague John Hollinger: Come up with a stat that quantifies how much of an offensive disaster Lindsay Hunter has been in the 2005 playoffs. Isn't there a way to combine "Number of times he dribbled the ball off his foot at midcourt," "missed open layups," "airballs," "missed wide-open 3s," "charges committed" and "passes off a teammate's face" into one giant stat? If not, there should be.

11:03 – Where does Rip Hamilton still wearing the Schnozzaroo (that see-through mask to protect his face) rank among the weirdest ongoing subplots in sports that nobody brings up or even questions? Does he ever take it off? Did his broken nose take three years to heal? What if Hubie showed up for tonight's game wearing one – would you think that was weird? I'm totally confused by this.

11:24 – Ben Wallace tries to take a charge on Ginobili, gets whistled for a foul, flips out and draws a technical, leading to our first full-scale Hubie Routine of the night: "Now, I'm Ben Wallace … I just out-quicked Ginobili, I should not be punished by picking up a foul that time, I guessed where he was going. I wish Ron Artest was here so I could give him a violent two-hand shove to the face."

11:41 – Fantastic closeup of Ginobili's budding bald spot. Highlight of the game so far.

11:46 – You know, when they finally turn Poe's "The Cask of Amontillado" into a movie, I just hope Bowen is available to play the part of Montresor.

11:52 – Michaels and Hubie just did the "You may not be able to tell by the score, but this was a heckuva basketball game" routine again. Come on, guys. You sound like the host of "Hit Me Baby One More Time" when he says "We just witnessed five amazing performances!" only the performances were by Loverboy, The Knack, Tommy Tutone, Vanilla Ice and Tiffany.

The jab at Coach K from Duke gave me a chuckle, but whatever Coach K does makes for exemplory basketball players. If I had a son with Division 1 talent, Duke would top my list of where I'd want him to play--and I'm a UCLA Bruin fan.