Albums that must be heard LOUD

I don't know, with my system, with acoustic music recorded properly, it seems there is a "right" volume above which anything else doesn't sound quite right. So I don't find many albums of my steady jazz diet that must be heard LOUD.

Now electric Miles, that's a whole nother kettle of fish and I find that I like to hear several sides of Big Fun and Get Up with It louder than I usually listen.

And Axis Bold as Love. . ..

The Count's 'Atomic Mr Basie' is another.

I was just listening to this and it didn't seem very dynamic (the sound, not the music which is very dynamic.) I have what I think is the first cd version of it. Has it been remixed for later releases? Is it in stereo?

Not sure on the CD version. I tend to play either the UK Vogue LP twofer 'Atomic Mr Chairman' or the Mosaic Roulette Studio LP set.

wjs.jpg

:lol:

I'll also echo jazzbo's sentiments about Miles's "Big Fun" and Jimi - all of it (Hendrix concerts were early contributers to my hearing loss). :rolleyes: John McLaughlin's "Inner Mounting Flame" and most large-ensemble salsa/Latin music sound great with the volume cranked up too.

Big bands sound great when played loud, like

- The "Basie Story" Roulette double CD recently reissued.

- Woody Herman's First Herd, especially "The Good Earth" and "Northwest Passage"

- Ellington's "Main Stem" (1942) and the classic Newport 56 Diminuendo... even earlier stuff like the "Dicty Glide" is great to hear really loud.

and some Jimmy Smith stuff, like "The Champ" with those big fat chords at the end...

F U

Freshman year of college I used to blast 'trane's Ascension as loud as I could from my dormroom (and sometimes AEC's Nice Guys if I was in a more forgiving mood). It sounded great to me.

This behavior was retaliation for all the Southern Rock, Doors, and Clapton that I was subjected to at similar volume from all the rooms around me.

As you could guess, I was a real popular guy.

BruceH  Yesterday, 01:47 PM Post #23 

The Modern Dance comes to mind...

I used to blast that one, too. And Dub Housing as well.

Edited by Kalo

Freshman year of college I used to blast 'trane's Ascension as loud as I could from my dormroom (and sometimes AEC's Nice Guys if I was in a more forgiving mood). It sounded great to me.

This behavior was retaliation for all the Southern Rock, Doors, and Clapton that I was subjected to at similar volume from all the rooms around me.

As you could guess, I was a real popular guy.

BruceH  Yesterday, 01:47 PM Post #23 

The Modern Dance comes to mind...

I used to blast that one, too. And Dub Housing as well.

When I was in college, I used to fantasize about the ideal jukebox, which would include "Life Stinks" and "Sentimental Journey" from The Modern Dance, early tracks from The Ramones, Television, Richard Hell & the Voidoids, Eno, Flipper, Wire, the Modern Lovers, Velvet Underground, as well as some blues and R&B. Later I would add selections (such as Decca Basie, Ellington sides, Dial Parker, etc) to this phantom jukebox. The idea was that playing the jukebox would drive out the undesireables (i.e., anyone who didn't like that music.) Immature of me, but I was just a callow youth.

Any of the Jack Johnson or Bitches Brew material.

Yep. Had Jack Johnson screaming loud yesterday afternoon for at least two CD repeats. Followed it up with a splash of Bitches Brew.

Another one is Freddie Hubbard's First Light, the title track. My favorite song to start the day.

Yep. Had Jack Johnson screaming loud yesterday afternoon for at least two CD repeats. Followed it up with a splash of Bitches Brew.

Another one is Freddie Hubbard's First Light, the title track. My favorite song to start the day.

Some of that box set material just needs to be timber shaking; it's so well recorded too you can wallow in the barrage of sound.

Another Hub one: Sraight Life :tup:tup:tup

Some of that box set material just needs to be timber shaking; it's so well recorded too you can wallow in the barrage of sound.

Another Hub one: Sraight Life :tup:tup:tup

I have Straight Life right here. It's part of my "office" collection. :D

Miles Davis-Jack Johnson

Miles Davis-Agharta

Miles Davis-Live Evil

Herbie Mann-Live At Newport

Just about any Art Blakey

Gary Bartz-I've Known Rivers

Although it isn't jazz the first Paul Butterfield album. It was suggested on the record that it be played at the highest possible volume. Trust me I did. Also Butterfield's "East-West".

These are just a few that come to mind.

• 2 weeks later...