From woodyshaw.com:

"Stepping Stones - to be re-released July 26, 2005 on CD - contains

three new tracks, samples of which may be heard at:

www.woodyshaw.com/index2.htm.

"It Call Comes Back to You" has not been kept, but this recording will

thoroughly satisfy any dedicated Woody Shaw fan."

Setlist and a peek at the new cover can be found at:

http://www.woodyshaw.com/index2.htm

Great news for us Woody fans although it's a little disappointing that "It Call Comes Back to You" has been omitted.

I guess it gives me reason to keep my LP and CDR copy.

Holy Christ - that tune (correct title is "It All Comes Back To You") is probably my favorite on that record!!!! It's a piece by Onaje Allan Gumbs, medium tempo, kind of leaning towards a rock/latin/gospel straight eighths sound, and I have the solos memorized I've listened to it so much. It's on the Best Of Woody Shaw LP on Columbia too.

I am seriously bummed about this. Why not leave it on Stepping Stones and keep Escape Velocity on Woody III and reissue *that* too.

Not *thoroughly* satisfied at all.

Mike

I wonder why they left it off. Was it because of time, or a copyright issue?

I was hoping they would include extra material and make it a multiple disc. But that would have been a good idea, which is why there was no way it was going to happen. <_<

Still looking forward to whatever material it does include, though.

I wonder why they left it off. Was it because of time, or a copyright issue?

I was hoping they would include extra material and make it a multiple disc. But that would have been a good idea, which is why there was no way it was going to happen. <_<

Still looking forward to whatever material it does include, though.

Don't know why. Didn't tell me when they replied to my email.

This release does include three tracks not on the original LP, including Escape Velocity which is from Woody III. The balance of Woody III, all studio tracks, appeared on the Shaw Mosaic.

The other two bonus tracks seem to have been previously unissued.

On a side note, I was told Theme for Maxine, which appeared on the LP but doesn't appear on the CD track list, will be included, presumably added to the end of one of the other tracks.

There was just a news piece on one of Germany's biggest news sites about the stunning losses the record majors have managed to accumulate this past year (in Germany).

I wonder why?

Could it be that they don't give a f*ck about what they're putting out?

No "It All Comes Back to You"?

Screw them.

It's CD-R (still) for me then.

Edited by neveronfriday

Wasn't there a studio track included on the original LP?  Is it on the CD reissue?  (Pretty sure it was on the Mosaic...)

Nope.

You're probably thinking of the live track (Escape Velocity) which was included on Woody III, a studio album. It was not included in the Mosaic.

You know, I was never all that impressed with Onaje Allan Gumbs, either - I was only familiar with him through some appearances on "fusion"-type albums. But I caught him with Art Pepper at the Vanguard - Pepper's initial appearance, a couple months before the "Contemporary" albums - he was terrific! That gig has always been sort-of put down as inferior to the later date, but I don't know, it was pretty special.

• 2 months later...

I picked it up and am enjoying it a lot. I think the tracks added to what was the original lp are superior to the one left off, "It all comes back to you" which as Cuscuna explains in the liner notes, was chosen for its more commercial sound and had more "airplay potential"

At first I thought the sound was good, but a bit thin, but the more I listen the more I like it.