Mosaic licensing, Running Low and Last Chance ques

I saw the following post on another board and wanted to get your take on the question and my reply..... (I'm deleting the poster's name.)

--------

It occurs to me: how much do you think Mosaic manipulates when it puts a box on the "Last Chance" list in order to generate sales at a specific time? I mean, is there a magic number at which point a box automatically moves to that category, or do they just decide to put something on there knowing that it will create a flurry of sales for them when they do so?

From my perspective... I can't imagine them doing this for a manipulative sales based reason...

I think it is related to licensing issues and how many sets they have already printed. For example, if the license for a 5000 set of xxx is due to expire at the end of 2005, and they've already printed 3500 and sold 3100, they might move it to "running low." If this is accurate, they would do this since a) the license is going to expire and b) there's no point in them printing another 1500 (to get the 5000 limit) since they are not going to sell them.

Secondly, I think the loyal Mosaic base might catch on to this and would not take it well. It seems to be that we (at least me,) assume that there is a high level of honesty at Mosaic in terms of the production, selling and distribution of the sets...

but that's my opinion... I'm not sure how the licensing thing works but that's my guess...

It seems to be that we (at least me,) assume that there is a high level of honesty at Mosaic in terms of the production, selling and distribution of the sets...

I certainly assume that there's a high level of honesty, in practically everything Mosaic does.

As far as this particular issue goes, sets on "Last Chance" status always go OOP quickly. Sets on "Running Low" status don't stay that way to terribly long. Don't know what numbers drive what, but whatever the system is - it seems to work.

If anything, I think they could put sets on the "Running Low" status even a bit earlier. And certainly in the case of the recently OOP Byrd/Adams set --- that one never even got on the "Running Low" list.

I'm confident that Mosaic do not manipulate anything, they are not that type of operation. A couple of times recently they have put sets straight to 'Last Chance'. I suspect that it was just plain oversight in each case, either a set timing out or a print run being exhausted and not enough time left to merit another batch.

Manipulation? :blink: In which way can Mosaic manipulate? They have a limited quantity of a set (e.g. 5000) and like to sell this quantity in a limited time frame. If it is on the running low or last chance list or just released, nobody is forced to buy a set. Well, ... almost nobody! :crazy:

I trust them, but I also realize that it's a business, not a philanthropic organization.

If they need to influence the market to generate sales, I respect that. I also know that if it's music I want I'm not going to wait until the "last chance" moment. What is it about that that makes the music suddenly become essential?

Do people want it more when there is a threat of extinction? It sure seems so.

I know I contributed to the feeding frenzy at J&R when the OJCs showed up on the endangered list (because of the perceived Concord "threat" which has yet to really materialize) and suddenly were on sale. The stuff I ordered was mostly things I already had on lp and intended to eventually purchase on disc- the threat of extinction made it happen much sooner.

That being said, I tend to strike early regarding Mosaics. It's an interesting phenomenon.