Favorite bit o' Larry Young

Soul Stream

There's a film of Larry with Tony Williams at Montreux (1971?). It's about 35 minutes. I have a 10th generation copy of this. Picture is grainy, but it's definitely Larry wearing the same outfit as on the cover of Lawrence Of Newark.

The end with a 5-minute 'Big Nick'. They sort of play the head, and then Larry just plays some amazing freak-out shit for 5 minutes. I can't really describe it - it's beyond surreal. I hope Eagle Eye puts this out eventually, since they've been doing a lot of Montreux stuff.

I was listening to the entire Into Somethin' while working out last night. Elvin really propels you to push harder on that exercise bike! I don't much about music theory, but I always thought Larry's harmonies on this record were just beautiful. It's relaxed yet 'urgent' at the same time. How does he do it?

Harry Appelman, a DC-based pianist and organist, really captures that kind of sound when he's on the portable organ thing that he plays (in fact, 'Tyrone' is part of his repertoire). I hear it in his piano playing too. If you have a chance to catch him, I urge you to do so. One of the great unsung geniuses of the music, in my opinion. If life made sense, he's be recording like crazy.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone already mentioned this , but Khalid 9:45 to the end is freakin' mind-boggling ... does anyone know if there's a live version ?

I actually don't own very much Larry Young. Just Unity & Lawrence of Newark. Trying to expand my collection ... but it ain't easy.

Could Larry currently be the most unfarily out-of-print jazz artist ?

btw , if any Peter Apfelbaum fans out there, but sounds to me like Peter's sound , compositions , and orchestrations were influenced by Larry ... but that's just a guess on my part.

Edited by oneofanotherkind

There's a film of Larry with Tony Williams at Montreux (1971?). It's about 35 minutes. I have a 10th generation copy of this. Picture is grainy, but it's definitely Larry wearing the same outfit as on the cover of Lawrence Of Newark.

Yep, I've seen that one. The band is the one from the 'Ego' vintage and has Ted Dunbar and Warren Smith, I think. Very grainy, for sure - but Larry definitely in Arabian head-dress.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if any radio interviews or television appearances exist ? ( I searched u2b and didn't find much. )

Seem like LY might be one of the least well documented major figures in jazz.

Does anyone know much about Young's final years, during which he or his styles had apparently fallen out of favor and he played primarily with locals & unknowns ? Was Larry still playing at the peak of his powers ?