Bill Charlap: The American Soul

RonF

Do the 4 horn players play together?  Or is the CD like "Stardust" in that only one guest will play on any one song?

Bol,

Horns are together on 3 tracks - Somebody Loves Me, A Foggy Day, Nice Work If You Can Get It. Frank Wess solos on 2 tracks - How Long Has This Been Going On, Bess, You Is My Woman Now. A great round of solos on S'Wonderful. The trio is featured on remaining of 10 tracks.

Do the 4 horn players play together?  Or is the CD like "Stardust" in that only one guest will play on any one song?

Bol,

Horns are together on 3 tracks - Somebody Loves Me, A Foggy Day, Nice Work If You Can Get It. Frank Wess solos on 2 tracks - How Long Has This Been Going On, Bess, You Is My Woman Now. A great round of solos on S'Wonderful. The trio is featured on remaining of 10 tracks.

Ron,

Thank you for the helpful response.

• 3 weeks later...

Caught the trio here in S.D. last night. Easily one of the best performances of the last couple of years. Luckily, I was able to be at the venue for both the early and late sets. The second set concluded with a mind-melting West Side Story medley - performed by the group without music. Ballads, burners, and everything in between --- all interesting takes on standards.

The amazing thing is that I would have missed the performance completely had I not been called on [last minute!] to dash to a music store for replacement drum heads for Kenny Washington! Through rush hour traffic I was able to make the delivery so that the concert started just ten minutes late. What a treat.

Caught the trio here in S.D. last night. Easily one of the best performances of the last couple of years. Luckily, I was able to be at the venue for both the early and late sets. The second set concluded with a mind-melting West Side Story medley - performed by the group without music. Ballads, burners, and everything in between --- all interesting takes on standards.

The amazing thing is that I would have missed the performance completely had I not been called on [last minute!] to dash to a music store for replacement drum heads for Kenny Washington! Through rush hour traffic I was able to make the delivery so that the concert started just ten minutes late. What a treat.

Lucky Duck! :P

• 1 month later...

I've heard a couple of Gershwin tracks on radio recently that really grabbed my attention. Each time it turned out to be a track from this CD. Charlap playing Gershwin does not, on the surface, appear to be a winner for me (you know, hasn't this been done before, Bill) but after hearing some of it, it may be worth picking up.